Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Be Careful What You Wish For

My husband owns his own company, so it's safe to say he does his fair share of delegating in his career. I love him for it. His work / life balance has improved dramatically over the last four years with the addition of more employees and said delegation of work.

Sometimes his delegation skills spill over into home life. Like two weekends ago when he downloaded the Wunderlist app on our iPhones. It's a program where you can share "to-do" lists with each other. My "to-do" list started with several items. "Heather to do ...", "Heather to call ..." Ummm hmmm.

I do not love Wunderlist. My husband said I'm welcome to add things to his "to-do" as well, but I can't really think of anything to add. Can't we just talk about it if there's something that needs to be accomplished?

Everyone knows my husband is the shopper in our family. He has a walk-in closet in our guest bedroom that is full of clothes. FULL. I always know when he's been shopping again because I have to run out to the store and buy new hangers. Putting clothes away in his closet is a pain because there's no room to hang anything anymore. I can't imagine what it's like to actually find clothes in there. This weekend, I asked if one of these days he could go through his closet and purge all the clothes that are too big / too small / out of style / worn out / etc. I offered to do it myself, but I don't think he'd be pleased with the way I de-clutter.

Be careful what you ask for.



Is anyone hosting an upcoming garage sale? Or know anyone who is? Andi is insistent on selling these clothes on a garage sale. Upon hearing this idea, I bit my tongue so hard it almost bled. My dad always says to pick your battles in marriage. We are not hosting a garage sale just for these clothes when we really have nothing else to sell. I agree there are likely some hardly-worn, pricey name-brand clothes in this pile (Columbia, Patagonia, Oakley) but the hassle of organizing a garage sale just for this is not worth the money he'd make in selling them. I suggested Andi take the clothes to a second-hand store like TurnStyle to sell for cash, but he doesn't want to do that. If it were me, I'd drop them off at Goodwill and call it good. Or, how about post them for sale on Craigslist? Or Ebay? Except, I'm not going through the trouble of doing that for him and Andi doesn't have the time. So, garage sale ... anyone having one? He'll give you a portion of the profits in exchange for selling them. Otherwise, I have to store these clothes somewhere in my house for the next seven years until they magically disappear ....

8 comments:

  1. Have you seen/heard of the facebook garage sale sites? They're basically group sites and people post pictures of the things they're selling. You then coordinate time for pick up and ta-da, all done! You can find a site that's close to where you love that way it's more limited to people just in your area. They seem a bit more effective than Craigslist for items like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I WISH my husband would let me declutter his closet! His closets and drawers are so packed that I can't even put his clothes away after I do laundry. I just keep it in baskets and put it in front of his closets. I've told him time and time again that I would be happy to put them away if he could just make room. But he has the hardest time parting with stuff in general. He has an entire dresser of just T shirts....and he only wears the ones that I wash and end up in the baskets in front of this dresser. Drives me BATTY!!! Some times I secretly throw his stuff away...shhhhh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest the local Facebook garage sale sites too! I buy/sell lots of things on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case Andi has a change of heart about actually getting money in return for them, our church has a huge garage sale in August, and all of the proceeds go to support meals that are made and sent to the children in Haiti. It's a great cause - so maybe the "profit" would be knowing he was feeding children in Haiti?! :)
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uri has like 5x as many clothes as I do. It's so weird! He is okay with goodwill at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I would offer to sell them for you, but shipping them to AA, Michigan wouldn't be very convenient. I cleaned out my closet and dresser this weekend and asked my husband to do the same; he hasn't yet. I LOL at Wunderlist. I think I need that app!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having one next Thursday-Saturday but I'm in ham lake! Otherwise download the app poshmark.... It's for women but people list men's clothes and since they are nice name brand they will be sure to sell!!

    ReplyDelete