Both sets of our parents teased Andi and I about how "good" we had it and how sorry we'd be in the future when nothing would quite stack up to the beautiful log cabin (which was really like a house). And truthfully, the Crosslake cabin was nicer than our house. I mean, it had air conditioning! But the one downfall was how far away it was from our house. A 2 1/2 hour drive every Friday night through city traffic and the same drive fighting cabin traffic coming home on Sunday nights got old. Ideally, we wanted to find an awesome cabin with all the same great characteristics, a little closer to home.
Would you believe an opportunity just like that came our way this winter? Andi learned of a friend of a friend who built a new cabin on Pipe Lake in Wisconsin, just 80 miles from our house. The couple was interested in renting their old cabin on the same lake. I few weeks ago, Andi went to tour the WI cabin with a few friends.
- Same size as the Crosslake cabin - 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
- 80 miles away from our house (compared to 160 miles to Crosslake)
- Fully furnished including all kitchen utensils, plates, etc.
- 2 docks and a fishing boat already there for us to use
- A hot tub!
- 2nd "beer fridge" bar area / kitchen off the deck for snacks and booze
- Big yard and sandy lakeshore
- Fire pit
- Giant wooden picnic table for dining outdoors
- Downstairs game room
- Big, attached garage for the big pups to sleep
- Neighborhood bar a few miles away called The County Line
- Clean, clear lake water
- Garden we're welcome to plant vegetables in
- Bigger lake
- Only 80 miles away from our house means we'll be closer to home for the baby
- All the same couples are in for the cabin fun again this year, plus our friends Ellie and Derrick!
- A gigantic stuffed bear which will be staying with us all summer
- The only pooch allowed in the house is Chloe (which doesn't make some of our friends very happy)
- It's not quite as fancy as the Crosslake cabin
- I was REALLY in love with our old cabin - can a new one really take its place?
Now for some photos ...
Why not start with the lake?
and a big deck for socializing ...
The beer fridge mini-kitchen off the deck
(did I mention that all the dead animals are going away except that one big bear?)
What big bear?
That one. In the living room.
One of the bedrooms ...
Downstairs Rec Room
Cute little breakfast nook ...
A view of the house from the back (lake side)
I haven't seen the cabin in person (only through Andi's photos) but overall, I'm pleased. We're going to have a great summer with our family and friends. And best of all, we'll be closer to home for baby.
Is it summer yet? I'm ready.