Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day 2013

A great father isn't just someone who horses around on the living room floor, reads bedtime stories and kisses boo-boo's all better. He's also mom's partner in crime. He's beside her every step of the parenting journey, in fun times and the most hectic. He's the voice of reason when there is no other; the funny one in just the right moments; a strong provider; the family's rock.


It struck me square in the face on Father's Day, as Andi and I were paddling a canoe down the Namekagon River, what a dynamite team we make together. Andi's Father's Day wish was to take a family canoe trip. He excitedly picked the route and arranged canoe rentals for his parents, sister and her boyfriend to join us. I like canoeing, but I have to admit I was a little anxious about taking Tory with us. Yes, she's more comfortable in a life jacket this summer but we'd also be within the confines of a canoe for a few hours and in the middle of a river with little access to civilization. I prepared the best I could and packed an extra set of clothes for Tory, extra swim diapers, toddler snacks, a sippy cup, sunscreen, towels, bug spray and a picnic lunch for the whole clan. We set out around 9:30am near Trego, WI.

Things started a little rocky as Tory bounced between the front of the canoe to the back, from my lap to Andi's, barely hanging onto the sides as she bobbed around. It made paddling for me nearly impossible as I attempted to have a firm hold on her during all times. Andi and I kept our composure though. We soon settled into a groove where I mostly tended to Tory and he did most of the paddling.

Our three canoes - Janie and Jim with Andi's nine-year-old cousin Mia, Lindsay and her boyfriend Kyle, and Andi, Tory and I - stopped on the river bank for a snack about half-way through the trip. The kids tossed rocks and chunks of ice into the river while the rest of us munched on cheese, crackers and chocolate-covered almonds.



Then, we continued down the river. Only toward the end did Tory get antsy as her nap time neared. By this time Mia was in the canoe with us to help keep Tory entertained while I held Tory on my lap and Andi paddled the boat. Talk about a strong man shouldering the heavy task of moving us down the river! Tory was nearly asleep in my arms as we drifted along, but cried every time I assisted Andi with paddling. I did my best to paddle and hang on to her at the same time.



We ended our canoe adventure with a picnic lunch back at the canoe rental / camp site. Tory caught a second wind with some food in her belly. I'd prepared chicken salad sandwiches on croissants and penne fresca salad for all of us ahead of time. Paired with sweet potato chips, Snapple tea and lemonade, it was the perfect outdoor feast.




Despite a few hairy moments during our canoe trip, Andi and I stayed cool and calm together. I'd even venture to say we had FUN canoeing and we'd be down to take Tory again this summer. When push comes to shove, I default to caring for Tory and Andi handles everything else. Upon reflection, this is what makes Andi such a great dad and partner in life: his composure, strength and love for adventure. Tory and I are so lucky to have him as ours.

After canoeing, we spent the remainder of Father's Day back at the cabin. We played in the lake, grilled hot dogs, opened presents and went for an afternoon boat ride around the lake. Our day together couldn't have been more picture-perfect.





Happy Father's Day, Andi!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun is that!! We haven't been canoeing since we had Lauren, I can't wait to get back out there again and try it with the girls : )

    Sounds like a great Fathers Day!

    ReplyDelete