Friday, September 17, 2010

As The World Turns

When I was a kid, I was lucky enough to have a stay-at-home mom for a big chunk of my childhood. We never realized how lucky we were to have our mom around 24/7. She did everything for us - walked us to the school bus, prepared dinner for our family every evening and created hundreds of memories over the years.

As crazy as this may sound, daytime soap operas take me straight back to this time. My mom watched All My Children, As The World Turns and Guiding Light every single day. So in turn, I grew up watching these shows too. I became even more enthralled with them when I went to college and did nothing but sit through 2 hours of class and take naps (Remember those days? Oh, how lucky we were back then).

I thought soaps were one of those things passed down from mother to daughter like family recipes. So I was bummed to hear today As The World Turns was airing for the very last time. Like the goof ball I am, I DVR'd it just so I could watch the very last episode. I watched it tonight and it was bittersweet. Corny as ever, but familiar and reminiscent of my mom.

What'll be the soap opera for the next generation? Think our kids will have fond memories of watching Jersey Shore or the Hills someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment