Sunday, September 12, 2010

Random

It happens every September: I blink and the dates on the calendar literally fly by without me even realizing. It wasn't until last night when I sat down to blog and realized I hadn't been here in over 2 weeks! So time to catch you up on what's new in my world:

Fall semester has started at the University of Minnesota and therefore, work has been really busy. I've been putting in 12-16 hour days which is a stark contrast to summertime. So far things have been going really smoothly this fall semester and I'm actually enjoying campus being so busy again. Before I know it, it'll be Thanksgiving and cold outside. That's how it always goes this time of year.

Fall semester also means I'm working at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturdays again. No more cabin weekends for me. Due to the Gopher's football schedule, the next time I can go to the cabin is October 9 - the weekend we return the keys to the cabin owners. It's bittersweet, but I'm so glad we rented the cabin this summer. We made so many memories with our family and friends. It's something I know Andi and I will do again - maybe at the same cabin if it's still available or maybe a different one. It's one heck of a way to spend a summer, for sure.

If we do the cabin thing again next summer, I am seriously considering hiring a lawn service. My poor yard has really suffered this year. I spent 5 hours doing yard work today because so much of it has gotten away from me. Usually I take great pride in my yard and my beautiful flowers, but there just wasn't time this summer. And when I was home, the last thing I felt like doing was mowing and weeding. We shall see ...

I'm excited fall's here. College football's on television, dinner's in the crock pot and my fall wreath is hanging on my front door. All is right in the world.

I think the crisp air outside is also giving me an urge for cooking. I've been craving my crock pot Beef Strogonoff recipe and am definitely planning to make that one night Andi's home this week. My mom made my favorite all-time meal Shepard's Pie the last time I was home and it was fabulous. Think I might make that for myself this week when Andi's traveling (and then eat nothing else but Shepard's Pie leftovers night after night - yum!). I've been watching Aarti Party on the Food Network lately and she's really inspired me to start cooking with cardamom in more recipes. I don't know if I can really be successful in incorporating raw spices and herbs into my cooking, but it looks cool and I think I want to try ...

I've also been coming up with a mean Christmas list lately. Usually I have no idea what I want but this year's different for some reason. I'm dying for a Kitchenaid mixer ice cream attachment, new "mommy blanket" as my dad calls it, these Keen boots or these ones, a new roll-up makeup bag, laptop case, Sirius satellite radio for my car, a renewal to US Weekly ... just to name a few.

And with that, I must sign off. The VMAs are on in 20 and I must get my chips and Diet Coke ready for the good tv watching in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment