Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Big 31

Birthdays are a BIG DEAL to me so it took me by surprise when February 13 snuck up so quickly this year. I guess being a parent means I have a few other things to pre-occupy my time with these days. About a week before, I started to panic with fear my 31st year would pass by with a whimper. I brainstormed a few ideas and emailed them to Andi, knowing he's the one person who'd have to pull off a fabulous birthday celebration for me (I'm pretty sure it's in our marriage contract, right under the part where I promise to pick up his underwear off the floor until my dying day).

My birthday fell on a Monday this year, so naturally we'd need to celebrate ALL WEEKEND LONG. Also, knowing Andi had a work event on Friday night, I suggested the following birthday activities:

1) Take a last-minute flight deal to somewhere. This is a gamble as we'd be in the mercy of the airlines and whatever special they might be offering. I could end up spending my birthday in Pittsburgh.

2) Take a weekend trip to Duluth, Minnesota. Andi and I usually spend a weekend there once a year anyway. We could stay in a hotel, find a fun activity to do on Saturday.

3) Stay home. Relax. Hang out as a family. Have dinner with friends. Eat cake. One catch though, no or/ limited technology throughout the weekend. I didn't want Andi to be torn into work or answering calls during my days of honor.

4) Go to the cabin. We already had a cabin weekend planned for later in February, but this is the one place on Earth where we can quickly escape all stresses of reality.

Andi chose #3. We decided to stay home for my birthday (something unprecedented; we almost always have some fun adventure planned. I have to admit, I was a little nervous The Big 31 wouldn't live up to my expectations.

-------

On Friday night, I put Tory to bed and headed down to Six Speed's Open House for their new office space. I had a blast hanging out with friends and once again, was so proud of Andi for taking the next step in running a successful agency. It was neat to talk to clients and work friends of his and listen to them sing his praises, confirming what I already know: what an awesome friend and creative mind he is.
Photo credit: Hickey Photography
As part of the event entertainment, Six Speed hired shadow dancers. It was so funny to watch the crowd in amazement of these ladies dance behind a white screen. Men at the party with jaws open wide and drool streaming from their mouths; women not sure if they should be mad or intrigued. Definitely a party highlight.
Photo credit: Hickey Photography
The party was still roaring at Midnight when I quietly made my exit. I playfully reminded Andi my birthday festivities would start early the next morning ... was he ready to celebrate?
------

Saturday morning, Andi and I woke up to the sounds of Tory and Grandma Janie playing in the living room. Janie had babysat Tory Friday evening and stayed the night since we planned to be home late. Tory still isn't sleeping through the night (although she's getting better!) so it was a nice treat to sleep in on Saturday morning for a few extra hours while Janie took care of the baby. Andi ran out to our favorite French bakery for pastries and coffee for breakfast and we sat around the rest of the morning playing toys with Tory.

On Saturday night, we were invited to our friends Nick and Julie's house for dinner. It's always chaotic fun when our two families get together because the kiddos rule our evening. Julie's boys, Joel and Alex, played with Tory, we ate dinner and ice cream all while the adults tried to have a conversation over play time. Our life has definitely taken a different turn with kids, and I love every minute of it.
------

Sunday morning, Andi suggested we go to church. We're trying to find a new place to go near our house in the suburbs. The last time we attempted church on Sunday, Tory had a full-on meltdown through most of the service but this visit, she was happily entertained by the music and people around her. We made it through most of the service before she started to get cranky. Tory fell asleep on the car ride home so Andi and I decided to drive around so she could get in a little bit of a nap. We went to the car wash, stopped and got Quiznos and ate our sandwiches in the car. (A very 31-year-old way to celebrate my birthday weekend).

Later, Andi and I met our friends Derrick and Ellie for drinks and dinner in downtown Minneapolis. Andi's parents were babysitting Tory and for once I let go of all my breastfeeding obsessions about pumping and storing milk fall to the wayside. It was my birthday weekend and I decided to have a guilt-free good time. (Usually, I fret all evening about pumping to replace the milk used while we have a babysitter and not drinking alcohol so I can feed the baby /or pump as soon as I return home). Andi and I started our evening with a cocktail at Eli's Bar, then met our friends for another cocktail at Marvel Bar. This place was swanky and hipstery, all the things WE ARE NOT these days, so it was really fun to be outside our element for once. We made our way to Bar La Grassa for a fabulous dinner. Seriously, it was by far the best meal we've eaten in a long time!

Birthday Date Night!
------

On Monday - MY BIRTHDAY! - I spent a quiet day with Tory. We read stories, played toys, she took a nap and I fed my new obsession by reading The Hunger Games. Tory even made me a sign above her changing table to wish me a happy birthday (thanks Janie!)

Andi came home from work at 4:30pm (!!!) and made me a birthday dinner of pork chops and butternut squash risotto. But by far, the best moment of my birthday was after dinner. Andi and I laid on the floor of Tory's play room with her and took turns reading her bedtime stories. It was one of those euphoric floating-on-the-clouds moments where I realized my entire world was right there before me.

Thirty-one wasn't the craziest birthday celebration, but it was one I'll never forget. I wished for quality time with my family and friends and Andi made it perfect. It's going to be a great year.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful birthday!! Glad you could spend time together as a family : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome few days! So glad it all lived up to your expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Sounds like such a nice birthday weekend! And yay to you for letting go of the pumping for a night. It really can consume us!

    &, if we didn't have enough in common already, I also started reading the Hunger Games series last weekend. I finished Hunger games in 3 days and plan to finish the next one this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete