Thursday, February 23, 2012

Winter Weekend at the Cabin

I'm feeling extra twitchy because I haven't blogged in days. It feels like my life is passing me by too quickly to document it. But if I don't write it down, I'll forget it. Sigh. Having a baby is really cutting into my free time, geez. Who saw that coming? And since I'm only working 3 days a week now, I don't have enough time to blog at work (I mean, ahem, I never blogged at work before). I have to cut the BS and get down to business just to get everything done while I'm there or it hangs over my head like a nagging ex-girlfriend (except I'm a girl and I have a husband ... so that doesn't really make sense. GAH, I'm tired ... you get my drift).

Long story short, it's taken me a few days to chat about our awesome weekend at the cabin. February is shaping up to be the best month I've had in a long time, partly because it's my birthday month and hello! celebrating! but also because Andi's been home at a decent time in the evenings (most nights, he's not home tonight of course or I wouldn't be sitting here on the computer) and weekends. March and April are going to be evil crazy-busy travel months for him so I'm soaking up every single minute I can with our little family of three. (Remind me of these happy moments when I'm a pity-party-of-one as I'm solo parenting in a few weeks).

We drove up to the cabin on Friday night as documented in my Day In The Life post earlier this week. Our friends Ellie and Derrick met us up there late Friday night. Andi and I were really excited to spend a quiet, relaxing weekend with two of our bestest friends in the world. They're even cool with us having Tory in tow which is another reason I love them so much.

Saturday morning, we woke up around 8ish. Andi and Ellie made breakfast and we played toys with Tory while Derrick slept in a little bit. Later that morning, the boys wanted to drive into town about 20 minutes away to watch a sporting event on the web. Since we don't have internet at the cabin during the winter, we loaded up the baby and made our way into Nezzy's Bar and Grill. It was Tory's first time at a bar (gasp! horrible mother alert!) but actually, it's a clean bar / restaurant and we were the only people there at 11:00am. The boys fired up their laptops, we ordered appetizers and cocktails and hung out for a few hours. Tory was so well behaved considering we were cutting into nap time. Ellie and I couldn't stop laughing when we tried to feed her rice cereal at the table with no high chair available. Tory kept spitting her food and it was flying all over Ellie and I.

Saturday afternoon, we headed back to the cabin so Tory could take a nap. Little stinker only slept for 20 minutes or so; it was just enough time for the boys to sneak off and do some 'guy stuff' outside. Derrick and Andi went target shooting on some empty land nearby. Oh boys ...

Since Tory didn't sleep long, we decided to go ice fishing when they returned. There were a few people fishing out on our lake so we bundled up Tory and headed to one of the open holes. Luckily, it was warm enough for her to be outside. Ellie and I were a little nervous walking out on the lake since it's been so warm but the boys assured us we'd be ok. It was Tory's first time on a frozen lake too. Don't worry baby girl, Daddy said it was safe!

Ellie and Derrick ice fishing. How cute are these two?


Once it got dark, Andi and I took Tory back to the cabin to feed her and put her to bed. Derrick and Ellie decided to make a stop by the local watering hole - The County Line. Andi and I were perfectly happy back at the cabin, reading Kindles and snuggling together by the fire.

Sunday morning, we packed up and drove back to the Cities. It's such an awesome treat to get away for the weekend at the cabin. It's funny how being just a few miles and an hour or so outside of the city melts away every bit of worry. I'm already looking forward to our next visit back to the country.

1 comment:

  1. Ice fishing!? What!? I thought only eskimos in Alaska did that. I'm so out of touch with reality. That sounds so awesome though. I have zero experience with ice/snow/cold/stuff of that nature so it's so interesting to me to read about stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete