Monday, June 25, 2012

Anniversary Trip

Our third wedding anniversary is next month and Andi and I decided we're ready for a vacation without baby. Tory will be 11 months old in July and I think she's at a good stage where she won't put too much of a burden on Grandma Janie. Truthfully, I'm only feeling as comfortable as I am about all of this because I'm confident in Andi's mom, who knows Tory's likes/dislikes and her routine. She'll be in good hands while we're away.

Andi's been pushing for a solo vacation for months (even just an overnight away together) but I honestly wasn't ready until now. The idea of being a plane ride away from Tory should something happen sent me into full-on hyperventilation. So, I'm fairly proud of myself for arriving at a place in motherhood where I'm alright spending a few days apart from my baby girl. I think it'll be a nice break for myself and wonderful to spend quality time with Andi. It'll be just like pre-baby days ... what will we do with our time! (wink wink)

We've been mulling over vacation ideas for weeks now, and I think we've finally settled on Vail. At first I was all, wahhh Colorado, we've been there a million times! (I know how snotty of me, right?) but I actually think it'll be a good mix of fun and relaxation. Other contending locations were Madeline Island in Northern Wisconsin and a cheap flight deal we found to Nashville, TN. Flights were incredibly expensive just about everywhere we wanted to go and unfortunately, the South is flippin' hot this time of year that Nashville didn't sound very appealing. Most lodging was already booked on Madeline Island and we didn't really feel like roughing it during our anniversary trip, so Colorado it is. Flights to Denver are reasonably cheap, it's a one-hour flight from the Twin Cities and an old friend of ours lives there and has the hook-up on lodging and fun things to do in the mountains. I think it'll be a great trip.

Andi's been hard at work searching for the perfect luxury hotel to stay at and unique, interesting adventures for us to embark on while we're in Colorado. We're planning to stay at Sonnenalp Resort which looks absolutely beautiful and I fully intend to treat myself (and Andi as well) to a wonderful day at the spa.

Look, this is going to be us.
(Oooh, hey baby. Oooh, hey there).
Andi thinks he wants to spend a day on a fly fishing float trip. It's basically a little bit of fishing (which I'm not really that into) mixed with floating through awesome mountain scenery (which sounds pretty fantastic). It's probably one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences and when has Andi ever steered me wrong? Also, he promised to watch every single Husker football game with me this fall as a thank you for always being willing to try his adventurous ideas. (Alright, I made that last part up but that sure would be nice of him).

Minturn Anglers - Vail
Whatever we end up doing, I know we'll have a wonderful time celebrating our anniversary together. I'm looking forward to focusing on nothing but the two of us. Oh, and sleeping, drinking wine, taking naps and sleeping some more. Maybe throw in some chocolate and cheese, too.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing, I'm so jealous!! I've never been to Colorado and it's on my list of places to go! I'm sure you'll have a great time and Tory will do great with Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds heavenly!! Our first trip without Annie was on our anniversary when she was ~9 months old, we just went to Duluth, but it was SO nice to get away for a few days! I'm sure Tory will have fun with her Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heather I'm so glad you have decided to take a trip away without Tory. I promise you it will be hard, BUT it's so great to just spend time with your sig other. You will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful! We went on a kid free trip for our anniversary and it was great just to not live and die by feeding/napping/bedtime-ing the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds awesome! I'm nervous about leaving Charley too, but I'm going to follow your lead and do a kid-free trip. You guys will have such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!!! Sounds like a perfect trip! My husband and I are taking off first thing tomorrow morning for our first trip without the kiddos. I'm pretty anxious and sad to be leaving them, honestly. But I'm going to try and soak up the solo time and enjoy not having to chase anyone around, cook or clean, or change diapers, etc... because I know it probably won't happen again for a very long time, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to have a blast! J & I went on our honeymoon when A was 6 months old - it was hard, but definitely worth it. You need to have adult time, and, (more importantly?) a chance to SLEEP IN every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds so relaxing!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy every moment of it. It will be rough being away from Tory, however you know she's in great hands!!

    ReplyDelete