Saturday, June 30, 2012

Letters to Tory: 10 Months

Tory Bean,

You're 10 months old today! It isn't hard for me to believe my baby girl is nearly one year old. This month has brought so many changes in your physical and mental development, I can easily see you transforming into a toddler before my very eyes.


One word describes you these days: mobile. You have so much energy, people often comment how active and outgoing you are. I guess I'm so used to your wiggly worm antics, I don't realize how extraverted you are until I see other babies your age. Just the other day I wondered to myself how other babies ride in shopping carts. So, I watched a few other babies in the store and they just SIT and occupy themselves with a toy or a box of cereal. You, my darling? Oh, no. You practically LEAP out of the cart the second I buckle you in. You always keep me on my toes, Tory girl.

You were cast as a baby model for 3M filter packaging this week, and there was another baby at the photo shoot with you. You sat on the set with the mom model, smiling and waving with both hands to the entire crew. "Hi! Hi! Hi!" you kept saying, charming every single person in the studio. One of the shots required you to gaze over the mom model's shoulder as she sweetly snuggled your head and the producer could not get you to cooperate. You just would not sit still. Wherever the other baby model was stationed, she just stayed in place. As active as you are, I wouldn't trade it for a single day. You are so entertaining and people of all ages are naturally drawn to your inviting personality. It's a wonderful trait to have.

This month you've mastered pulling yourself up to a standing position and are even beginning to climb furniture. Forget the entire playroom of toys you have, your favorite activity these days is to climb underneath the table. You'll keep yourself occupied for 15-20 minutes at a time, crawling between chair legs and over the wooden beam in the center of the table. It's all fun and games until you inevitably bonk your head on the wood. That game always in tears, but it doesn't stop you from going back.


Walking (or should I say running) is not far off as you'd prefer to walk assisted than crawl. You can even stand alone for a second or two until you realize you're not holding onto anything. From a sitting position, you can stand up with the bottom half of your body, but you haven't quite figured out how to lift your arms to a full standing position just yet. I guess it looks sort of like a monkey pose, with your feet and hands firmly planted on the floor.


We've spent a lot of time outdoors this month and your love for the water is blossoming. Last weekend, Daddy and I were lazy at the cabin and didn't want to take the cover off the pontoon, so we took you for a ride in the old, tiny aluminum fishing boat. I thought for sure our little adventure would end with you screaming all the way around the lake, but you loved it and kept giggling as we cruised along. As long as you're part of the action, you're usually a pretty happy baby.



Finally, FINALLY, you're showing interest in solid foods. Up until a few days ago, you refused to eat anything that wasn't pureed to a pulp and bland as can be. Last week I was eating a cup of yogurt and you seemed interested in what I was doing, so I gave you a tiny taste. You were a crazy baby for more bites. I think you ended up eating more of the container than I did. I bought you some of your own baby yogurt and this has quickly become one of your favorite foods. Last weekend, Daddy and I took you to the strawberry patch and although you weren't sure what to think of strawberries at first, you ended up loving them. I can't say you're actually eating them, more licking, but at least you're finally willing to try. We also gave you cucumbers this week and you seem to like biting (but not eating) those, too.


So many changes this month and so much fun. I'm thankful every single day God made me your mama. You're everything to me, little Bean. I love you so much.

Love,
Mommy


2 comments:

  1. She's gorgeous and it sounds like you're going to have a walker on your hands pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She got the job?!! That's so cool, Congrats!

    Tory sounds like such a fun little girl, I hope I get to meet her some day.

    ReplyDelete