Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Circle of Life: Teething Edition

What comes in, must fall out (and grow back again).

Tory's been teething like a mad women lately. I googled "teething symptoms" and the poor kid has every single one. Every. Single. One. The teething gods aren't being so nice to my kiddo. Her head feels warm, pools of drool drip from her mouth, she's literally chewing on anything she can get her hands on, runny stool, gagging on excess saliva (and barfing because of it). I've tried Tylenol, teething tablets, Orajel, teething rings ... and my goodness, will the next tooth just pop in already? She has one so far - bottom middle - and that little thing smarts when she chomps down hard. No sign of the second tooth, but I'm hoping it won't be long until it pops through and gives her some relief.

See that little tooth in there?

While Tory's teeth are starting to come in, my niece Brookie's teeth are starting to fall out. She's had a loose tooth (bottom middle, ironically) for a few weeks now and on Monday it finally fell out at day care. I guess she was playing in her babysitter's backyard and all of a sudden it was gone. All the kids searched in the grass for Brookie's tooth, but it was nowhere to be found.

Later that evening, my sister Ashley told her to expect a visit from the tooth fairy in the night. She said Brookie was beyond excited when she woke up to find a shiny quarter in her little tooth pillow. A quarter! What it takes to please a kid. Brookie couldn't believe there was still a hole in her mouth the next morning. She understood the part about loosing her tooth and how the tooth fairy visited afterwards, but thought her new tooth would just magically appear in its place. "I still have a hole there," she told my sister "and it feels weird!"

Don't mind the dance costume ... don't you usually wear yours around the house?

The next day at day care, the babysitter was having her morning coffee and happened to notice Brookie's little tooth glistening in the sunlight on the ground. She found it after all and now Ashley will be able to save it in Brookie's baby book. "I bet the tooth fairy took it from my pillow and left it at Janice's house so she could find it," Brookie said. Um, yep, I bet so.

It's the circle of life: teething edition around our family. While one little girl struggles to gain a tooth or two, another one is losing hers.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I hope Tory's tooth pops through soon! Teething is no fun. I feel for you.

    That is too funny with Miss Brookie. I remember when we were younger my parents had us put our tooth under a upside down glass on the table. The next morning there would be money under the glass. I am not sure how my parents got the glass idea, instead of a pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! First tooth - how exciting! Cruz is drooling like made, chewing on everything, has had a fever, etc so everyone is telling me "he must be teething" but this has been going on for weeks and nothing has popped through. It sounds like poor Tory is getting it bad :(

    She looks super cute with that lone tooth, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucia got EIGHT TEETH from 6 months to 9 months. So different from Adriana, whose top middles didn't come in until her first birthday. My girls get horrific diaper rash when they are teething, it is awful. I was glad to see that was left off your list (not that the others sound any more fun). I hope T feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty cool actually, that Brooke lost the same tooth Tory got.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teething is the pits. Maren started teething at 4.5 months. There was, like, a one month break between colic and teething. Really, Universe? Really?

    Have you tried ibuprofen yet? It's an anti-inflammatory and should help with the swelling. Since she's older than six months she's old enough to take it.

    ReplyDelete