Monday, June 11, 2012

A Weekend In the Cities

I can't remember the last time we spent a summer weekend in the Twin Cities, which is crazy since we live here. We pay a lot to have a cabin in the summertime, and we usually block our calendars months ahead to make sure we have time to use it. But Andi's had a crazy work schedule the last few weeks including out of town travel trips, and he left for another one again on Sunday. As much fun as it is, it's a lot of work to pack up Tory and her necessities, food and clothes every weekend to head to the lake. Since we'd only be able to enjoy it for one day this weekend, we decided to relax at home instead.  

Friday night after work, Andi and I took Tory and Chloe for a walk around the neighborhood. Tory and I go for a walk at least once a day, but it's been forever since Andi was home to go with us. It felt like the old days - pre baby days - when Andi and I'd take a evening stroll with roadies in hand. Is it bad I associate Gin and Tonics with summertime strolls?


We stopped at the nearby park to play on the playground. Tory loves the swings and this was her first time trying out the plastic tube, given her new crawling mobility. 




We were up bright and early with Tory Saturday morning, so we decided to take a trip to the Minneapolis Farmer's Market. It's been YEARS since Andi and I've been there and it's grown quite a bit since then. Our life has changed since those days. In typical baby fashion, Tory took an enormous poop in her car seat on the drive there. If I had a quarter for the number of times I've wrangled a wiggly baby covered in poop in the back seat of a car, I'd be rich.

The story of my life these days ...
just changing a poopy diaper, no big deal.

Inside the farmer's market, We bought some local cheese, strawberries, lettuce and radishes. Of course Andi had to have a roasted corn and he shared a bite or two with me. Tory had the best time taking in all the sights - the people watching, the smells. She never made a peep the entire time we were there. 


No weekend's complete without a little Daddy / Tory photo session. Tory's starting to enjoy the backyard a little more these days and she'll even tolerate sitting in the grass for a minute or two now.


A hidden talent?
Tory's pulling grass with her toes.
We practiced lots of walking around the house this weekend. Even though Tory just learned to crawl two weeks ago, she's having nothing of it these days and wants to walk assisted if she's able.


Saturday night, our nanny came over to stay with Tory for a few hours while Andi and I went out to dinner together. As busy as his work schedule has been lately, it was nice to spend a few hours together just the two of us. We dined at Corner Table and the food and service were wonderful. The restaurant prides itself on serving food grown within 100 miles of the Twin Cities. I ordered duck and I for a moment I wondered when I became so grown up. The 20-something me would be shocked! During dinner, Andi commented how different I looked wearing make-up. I wear make-up everyday, I thought to myself, but I think it was his way of saying I looked nice. That's why date nights are so important for parents! Everything looks a little better under the flicker of candle light. 

As enjoyable as it was to spend a weekend at home, I think Andi and I are ready to return to the cabin next weekend. The comforting sounds of the lake are calling our name.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend....great cleavage shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great weekend! Love Tory's grass pulling talent : )

    She is just so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun family weekend! I love hearing about the inner workings and special places of other people's hometowns. Especially in other areas of the country from where we live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you and Andi had a nice night out...that is SO important!! Great shots of the baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to the farmer's market this past weekend, too - with Paul in the front pack. He tried to intercept any food I wanted to eat:)

    ReplyDelete