Sunday, September 30, 2012

Letters to Tory: 13 Months

Tory Girl,

You're a toddler now! You're a walking, spunky, babbling little girl now and life with you couldn't be better. I know I say every month with you is more fun than the last, but it's absolutely the truth. You make every day brighter. Daddy and I love you so, so much!

Visit to the Turtle Lake, WI Pumpkin Patch
Several weeks ago as you were learning to walk, everyone kept telling me to hope you'd hold off just a little bit longer. "You'll really have your hands full then," they'd say. Honestly though, I enjoy my time with you so much more now that you can explore the world on your own two feet. By nature you're somewhat clingy, okay really clingy especially to me, and most of the time I don't mind carrying you along wherever I go. That is, unless I'm trying to make dinner or change a load of laundry. I've become quite skilled over the months of doing all those tasks with one hand while you're perched upon my hip. At least now I can put you down for a few minutes if needed and you're (usually) content to entertain yourself. Your unconditional love warms my heart and I could just about die from cuteness when you put your arms around me for a hug and pat my back like a little grown up. What a little lover you are.
My best girl - always together
You're still a little monkey and love to climb underneath everything possible. Daddy bought you a play tent for the cabin and a princess tent for your play room at home and you love them both. Many times, you'll drag books into your castle and read yourself stories. Baby dolls continue to be your best friends and you're often seen giving them hugs and kisses or carrying them tucked underneath your arm.

"Monkeying around" on the living room furniture
This month was your 12 month check-up and the doctor just couldn't get over how perfect you are. You weigh 19 pounds (33rd percentile) and are 29 inches long (50th percentile). The doctor was happy to hear you're doing things like helping mommy get you dressed and imitating the animal noises of dog, cow, snake, lion, bear and elephant. You can even point to all of your body parts. There's just one thing he was surprised you aren't doing - saying mama or dada yet. I know it'll come eventually, but I long to hear you say those sweet little syllables!

Just look at that little face.
One of your biggest milestones this month was learning to sleep through the night. After spending the day with Daddy and taking a banner long nap, I decided it was time we let you "cry it out" in your crib until you learned how to soothe yourself to sleep. Honestly, I think you were ready and the whole process went fairly smoothly. The first night or two you fussed for 20 minutes or so and it was hard to sit by and listen to you cry, but by night three you were settling yourself to sleep in minutes. Since then, you're sleeping much better during the daytime and at night and we are, too! It feels so good for all of us to get a good night's rest. You even sign "nap" to us when you're tired and will lay right down to sleep. I'm shocked at how easy the transition has been when I remember all those long, hard months of multiple wake-ups and tip-toeing out your bedroom door. Crazy how much my little girl is growing up.


We spent lots of time at our Wisconsin lake cabin again this month and there you went on your first ATV ride with Daddy. Don't worry, he only took you around the backyard. Isn't that what Baby Bjorn carriers are for anyway? You have no fear when it comes to water, climbing or exploring.

First ATV ride
You also took your 11th? 12th? flight to Nebraska for Baby Neeley's baptism. You were a rockstar traveler on the plane as always, although a bit on the wiggly side. It was neat to see you notice things in the airport like airplanes on the tarmac and the clouds out the window as we flew at 30,000 feet. For the first time, I really felt like you knew what you were experiencing. At Nana and Papa's house in Nebraska, you had a fun time playing toys with your cousins. It's a wonderful sight to see all of you girls together.

Tory (1 year), Brooke (5 years), Neeley (7 weeks)

Keep lighting up our life, Tory Bean. We love you always.

Mama

2 comments:

  1. Tory Girl is so cute, really starting to look like you alot. We just took Will for his 12 mo check up and they have about the same stats. He is 19lb 2oz and 28.5 in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it is bc Tory is so cute or if I am getting older, but your posts make me so excited to have kids!!!!!!! Sweet sweet post Heather. Love Tory's expressions!!!

    ReplyDelete