Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Neeley's Baptism

Andi, Tory and I flew to Nebraska this past weekend to celebrate my new baby niece's baptism. Neeley is 7 weeks old now and absolutely squeezable! Love that I've had the opportunity to see her twice in a month because she's already grown and changed so much.

We left for Nebraska on Friday evening and rented a car in Nebraska to drive to my parent's house. Tory behaved wonderfully on the flight, but she was definitely a wiggly worm. It took both Andi and I to keep her occupied for the 50 minute duration, which has us re-considering our decision to fly with her on our laps when we travel to Europe this Spring. Eleven hours is a loooong time and if we were physically exhausted after this flight, I'm not sure how we'd do. Not that she misbehaved by any means, just has a lot of energy. Our iPad, snacks, books and the friendly people seated behind us got us through this flight and she slept on the hour car ride to my parents afterwards. Pretty smooth traveling overall.

Saturday morning, we attended my other niece, Brooke's, swimming class at the YMCA. After seeing Tory in swimming during my family's visit to Minnesota in August, Brookie begged her mom to sign her up, too. The lucky duck's the only child in her class so it was great to see Brookie get one-on-one attention with her swim teacher. I spent half the session wandering around the old YMCA hallways, chasing an active toddler. Isn't it funny how much smaller places seem when you return to them as an adult? I swear the Y was giant when I was a kid. The gymnasium used to stretch on forever. Now it's a pretty small place, a little dingy and not at all how I remembered it. I suppose my hometown doesn't freeze in time just because I've moved on.

Back at my parent's house, we spent the rest of the afternoon playing with the girls and watching the Nebraska football game. Tory had a blast playing with Brooke and all Nana and Papa's toys. She was mostly obsessed with the bouncy seat she wanted nothing to do with six months ago as a baby. We all laughed as she reclined with her baby doll and coloring book in the baby lounger. (That's not baby Neeley in the picture, by the way. It's a looks-like-real baby I bought for Brookie's birthday).


My mom bought the girls Hello Kitty Huskers t-shirts so we had to snap a picture of them wearing matching gear. Someday Tory's going to love looking back at all the pictures we take with the cousins together. I know I love to see the ones of us when we were little, at my grandma's house lined up with our Easter baskets or in our matching pajamas. The best childhood memories, I think.


Sunday, we went to church and my mom hosted a reception for Neeley following the service. Neeley was a little angel and didn't cry once during church. Tory was well behaved also, if you don't count the times she chucked her bottle a few pews in front of us. Seriously, what is the solution to little kids behaving during a church service? Too young for coloring or quiet books; I basically stuffed my child full of Puff snacks and a bottle of water to entertain her. Her diaper weighed a gazillion pounds by the end of the service. This will get better, right? When she's 30 and finally capable of sitting still for an hour?

Neeley and her sponsors

Baby Neeley on her baptism

By the time all of the guests were gone, my immediate family collapsed on the living room furniture, watched a movie and played with the kids. You never realize how much work it is to entertain people at your house (the prep, the party, the clean-up) until you're old enough to be the organizer or responsible enough to help your parents with it all. Andi and I were beat on our flight back to Minnesota, but enjoyed every minute of the weekend with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment