Monday, September 10, 2012

Sleep Training: It's Time

On Saturday, I had to work the Gopher football game. A day which started with three nighttime baby wake-ups at 12am, 2am and 3am. My alarm went off at 4am and I worked an 11-hour day from 5am - 4pm. To say I was frustrated with Tory not sleeping, with life in general, is an understatement. I am so tired of running on fumes because I have a child who doesn't sleep.

Andi and I are not people who function well on no sleep. In the early weeks of pregnancy, I remember reciting reassuring words to myself on how we'd make it through the first few weeks of no-sleep parenting. I told myself, it'll only be a few weeks! I can do anything anything for a few weeks! Soon, I'll have a baby who sleeps 12 hours at night and we'll return to our normal selves.

Yeah, that never happened around here.

I will fully take responsibility for Tory's sleeping habits. I am not a fan of letting babies cry it out. I've never let her cry for more than 5 minutes because I just didn't understand how letting her get so worked up would help her fall asleep. She's also so gaggy and a few times she threw up from crying so hard. I couldn't bare to sit by and let that happen. I usually rock her to slumberland, even today, and I fall out of my chair with amazement when other parents talk about how their kids just magically sleep for naps and bedtime (it's so easy, they say!). I HATE YOU. (Just kidding). (Kind of).

So, Saturday was Andi's first big day watching Tory all by himself. We were both sort of nervous about it. I wrote him a list of foods to feed her and her naptime routine during the day. Not that he's not a capable parent, but I always take care of all feeding and naps. He sent me a text half-way through the work day to say she'd taken a three hour nap in the morning. WHAT THE HECK?!?! She's taken a three-hour nap for me exactly zero times. I didn't get it.

Later I asked him how he got her to sleep so long because seriously, this kid doesn't sleep at all for me. He said he tried to rock her to sleep a few times, but finally let her cry it out in her crib for 20 minutes before she soothed herself to sleep. She was tired, he said, so he just let her work it out by herself. Huh.

At that moment, I hit a wall. I'm over this! I'm tired of running on empty because I'm not getting enough sleep. At a year old, Tory really should be sleeping through the night. At most, she shouldn't need me (and only me - no one else) to comfort her. I decided it's time for sleep training.

Without sounding cold, I decided to go cold turkey. I rocked her to sleep last night as per usual and laid her down to sleep in her crib. If she woke up 20 minutes later (which is pretty standard), I would let her cry it out without going back in there. She didn't. At 2:00am, Tory cried out from her nursery and I listened and waited. At 15 minutes into her wake-up (not necessarily a meltdown by the way, but a constant fussing), I told Andi to put in earplugs if he like because I was committed to letting her soothe herself to sleep. At 3:00am, Tory was finally quiet. I was proud of myself for sticking to my guns. She finally figured it out. Unfortunately, I was wide awake but this will get easier, right?

Today during both naps, I rocked Tory to sleep and laid her down in her crib. She woke up both times and I normally would've picked her back up and rocked her back to sleep again. Today, I simply walked away and shut the door. She wasn't happy and she screamed when I left, but fell asleep minutes later and slept for 1 1/2 hours each time. I'm shocked and so happy.

I know there are various methods of Cry It Out and some offer a softer method of entering back into the room to offer reassurance. I see how this method might be a good option for a smaller child, but I think Tory's old enough to realize she's not abandoned. The kid's been playing me for MONTHS and I'm finally ready for both of us to move onto the next stage. She's a smart cookie and perfectly capable of soothing herself to sleep (as shown the last two days). Here's hoping our second night of CIO goes smoothly and my little girl will be on her way to sleeping through the night from here on out.

8 comments:

  1. R took 2 years to sleep thru the night and by then we also had a non-sleeping/screaming 5 month old. It sucks. But I went in and answered almost every cry because I missed my babies all day long when I was at work!! I hear ya. You will survive. You will make it. It helps to just give in to it... get a book you can't stop reading and start reading if you have to during a 2am marathon wailing session. You will survive -- and T won't know the difference. You've seen my girls - can you tell I let them cry at night? It took a long time, we'd have great weeks and bad weeks -- but then yay everyone was sleeping and it was glorious!!!

    And then I got pregnant. GO figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Tory!!! I knew she could do it! I'm not a fan of CIO either but I agree that you tried everything else and it this is what it takes to get her to sleep, so be it. You are obviously an awesome mom and Tory knows that. Here's hoping for a great second night for you (and Tory)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather...I'm so proud of you and happy you took this step. I can't imagine how hard that has been, but such great results! I hope it continues because I know this is your crazy time of year. Here are my "happy thoughts" that this continues to work! Thinking of you and Tory girl!

    Next question...so the hubby just recently had his first day "watching" little girl? I'm going through this with mine...so it jumped out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. You will be so much more fresh and happy with sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you! Good job Mama! Anika has been a great sleeper since day one, but last week was having some tummy issues so now we're 're-learning' how to sleep through the night :) It's amazing how quickly they get into the habit of waking up in the middle of the night! The last few nights of her fussing on and off have been killing my hubby but I just happily roll over and fall back to sleep. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!!!!!!!! Hope it is going smooth now!
    Was at the gopher game too! Goooooo gophers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think sleep training is brilliant (once a baby hits a certain age, yadda, yadda). Sleep is such a huge, huge thing. The nights I wake up multiple times from Oliver teething + random Bella wake-ups lead to hard days where I just feel sick from exhaustion. I'm excited for all the sleep in your future ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad it is working for you and Tory! Keep it up baby girl!

    ReplyDelete