Monday, October 29, 2012

Date Night Dinners

Andi and I have this thing lately for date nights at top-rated Twin Cities restaurants. I used to hate going to dinner together because it usually involved sushi (Andi's fav; me, not so much) and my husband browsing a CityPages circular at the table. I struggled to drum up conversation between us and felt like a lush when I wanted to order a cocktail and he did not. Basically, I could think of a hundred different date nights I'd enjoy more than going out to dinner.

Two things changed in the last year: 1) We're parents now and it turns out we have a lot to talk about when there isn't a demanding (but lovely) toddler tugging at our ankles. 2) We stumbled upon a list of James Beard Award finalists and started pecking at the list one by one. We haven't been disappointed once.

There's just something about food that's prepared really, really well by chefs at the top of their game. We don't mind paying a few extra dollars for a dinner date when we always walk away with an amazing experience. I think Andi's turning into a bit of a foodie quite honestly, and working in foodservice for the last six years has rubbed off on me, too. I can't say I'd be able to cook any of the things on the menus, but at least I can pronounce the words.

Our favorite thing to do is get the tasting menu at a restaurant if they offer it. It's a great way to try lots of different foods on the menu (and even some that aren't). We did the tasting menu at Travail this summer and the entire experience was unbelievable, right down to an appetizer being assembled on the back of our hands, table side, with our eyes closed. Andi and I went back here a few night ago and the tasting menu had changed with the season, was again delicious and at $60/couple the price couldn't be beat.

Last month, we dined at Heidi's and ordered their tasting menu as well. It was a celebration of the restaurant's top customer-favorite recipes and each one was very excellent. I even ate cow's tongue which honestly, tasted just like beef. Back in the day, my old boss would take me to fancy restaurants when we traveled together for work and I'd always order the one menu item that included a side of French fries. He would've been so proud of me that night!



All this to say, my husband and I have discovered a new found common interest. Isn't it so great when an old married couple like us can still find new things to enjoy together? These date night dinners have been an awesome way for us to escape together for a few hours every month or so, and I love how romantic it feels to sip wine and devour gourmet food over intimate conversation.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful- I love trying new restaurants. My husband and I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooove going out to fancy dinners at new restaurants. So much that we have a whole blog devoted to that very topic! ;) It's so hard now with 2 kids to coordinate babysitters, so it's gotten a lot harder than it used to be for us to get out but we need to make an effort to do it at least once a month because like you said, it's just so different than even sitting at home together after baby bedtime. Probably the best dining experience of my life was doing the chef's tasting menu at La Belle Vie, which was a 3+ hour affair. That was a VERY special occasion for graduating from my master's program, but even just a "regular" nice dinner out is awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete