Tuesday, October 9, 2012

How to Fly with an Infant/Toddler

My little jet-setting Tory Girl has been on a dozen flights in her lifetime and we're gearing up to take her to Switzerland and Italy next spring. Traveling with an infant at any age is challenging in its own right, but it's not impossible. In fact, it's not even miserable if you have a positive attitude about it all and accept the fact that you'll probably have to laugh off whatever embarrassing situation you're about to encounter.

I've received several emails from friends and blog readers asking for tips on how to fly with an infant/toddler, so I thought I'd sum up my advice in one location to reference. In no way am I an expert when it comes to traveling with a small child, but I have learned a few things along the way that have helped make life easier!

1. Car seats check for FREE! I didn't know this until after we accidentally paid online to check ours. When I got to the airport, the nice TSA worker told me car seats and strollers check for free, but only inside at the regular ticket counters (not outside at the skycap check-in places). When Tory was an infant, we checked her infant car seat planeside, which is also an option if you want to lug it through the airport with you. Once she moved up to a convertible car seat, however, checking it at the ticket counter made things so much easier.

I bought this car seat cover from Amazon which has backpack straps for transport. It's easy enough to carry on my back for the short distance from the car to the ticket counter / from baggage claim to the car. We also purchased this convertible car seat to use specifically when we're traveling, as it's only 11 pounds (compared to our daily use Britax at 28 pounds). Do I recommend you purchase an entirely new light-weight car seat just for airport travel? No. We fly quite a bit, however, so it made sense for us. Plus, I like the fact our nice Britax won't take a beating through baggage claim.

2. Bring a kid carrier. I always bring our Baby Bjorn along to carry Tory through the airport. If you bring your stroller along and your child doesn't mind riding in it, it's probably not necessary. For me, it's mandatory as we rarely travel with our stroller and Tory's always clamouring to get out of the stroller when we do. You can also wear the baby through security in the baby carrier; they'll just want to swab your hands with some magic cloth to "test" you're not carrying explosives. This is waaay easier in my opinion than wrangling a stroller and all that jazz.

If you do bring your stroller, the child has to come out of it (vs. being able to wear the baby through security) and send the stroller through on the security belt (usually they have to hand check it if it's too big to fit). To speed up the process, flag down a TSA person as soon as you approach the belt and let them know you'll need to have your stroller hand-checked. Make sure everything's out of the stroller (papers, blankets, toys, etc). before they screen it.

Tory is almost too big for the Baby Bjorn now and the last time I carried her through the airport in it, my back was pretty sore by the end. I'm planning to purchase an umbrella stroller like this one to use for travel. I specifically like how this one can be folded up and carried on your back if needed. Also, if you do bring a stroller along, you can gate-check it planeside, so you can use it as you navigate the airport and it's waiting for your when you get off your flight.

3. Family Lane. Did you know the airport security areas have "family lanes?" This is my husband's very favorite part of traveling with Tory in tow ... there's almost never anyone in these lines so he gets to cut to the front of security.

4. The bottle low-down. You can bring baby bottles of milk or water through security check, but they have to be pulled out separately in the gray bins for TSA to test them. Don't worry, the TSA employee doesn't physically touch or test the liquid inside. They use a swab to test the air inside the bottle for harmful substances. Last time I flew, I brought empty baby bottles with me and then when to Starbucks once inside the airport and purchased a cup of milk warmed to 120 degrees. That worked nicely and then I didn't have to deal with security checking the bottles (and slowing us down in the process). Even if it's not a scheduled meal time during our flight, I always arm myself with a bottle of milk to feed her on the plane. This ensures she has a fully belly and usually diverts any major meltdowns.

I always bring along a small 4oz. baby bottle to fill with water. This entertains Tory the most out of anything and also helps her ears adjust to the change in cabin pressure as she drinks/sucks on something during take-off and landing. If your child uses a pacifier, that would be another option.

Don't forget to pull out any other liquids or gels you have in the diaper bag (diaper paste, etc). These have to go into your 3oz. Ziploc bag through security screening.

5. Snacks are key. Have plenty of crackers and baby wipes handy to clean off the baby's hands as he/she eats on the plane. I've found the least messy ones to be the Gerber Graduate Wagon Wheels and Puffs, too. Teething biscuits and Gerber Lil' Crunchies are too much of a hassle.

6. Toys and books. I also bring a few of Tory's very favorite toys on the plane and a book to read. Toys and books are nice-to-have's but honestly, she's never entertained for long playing with one of these items. They take up a lot of space in the diaper bag and it's a lot of work to make sure she doesn't throw the items three rows ahead of us (which is typical) or drop them onto the germ-infested floor (also typical). Once they hit the floor, I won't let her play with them again (because germs, eww) so toys and books only last so long.

7. Screen time. Recently, I started bringing along our iPad loaded with Backyardigans episodes in case I needed it in a pinch but up to this point, Tory hasn't shown interest in watching it. She's too little for earbuds or headphones so I'd have to turn the sound down reeeally low for her anyway.

8. Airplane magazines are your friend. What isn't fun about flipping (or should I say ripping) through pages of dogs and people in the SkyMall magazine? They say those magazines are free to take, right? Well, we use them for entertainment and ripping them up definitely excites her. This has been one of our best activities yet.

9. Carry-on necessities. Always bring a back-up outfit for your child in your carry-on, of course. If there's ever a time your baby will have a diaper blow-out, chances are it'll happen at the most inconvenient time and the airport ranks right up there. If at all possible, I usually try to wait and change Tory in the airport bathroom but there's also a fold-down changing table in the airplane bathroom if needed. You can imagine, it's pretty tight quarters in there so I only use it in emergencies.

I've had other moms advise a back-up outfit for me is also key, but I never bring one. I usually try to travel pretty light and thus far, I've never needed a change of clothes for myself. That said, I usually have cracker smeared on my shirt and jeans, but it doesn't really bother me.

Bring lots of diapers in your carry-on (like double what you normally have in there). I always seem to change Tory more in the airport because she's drinking more liquids.

I always bring a blanket to cover Tory with on the plane, and try to dress her warmer (long pants, socks, etc) because planes are cold. This rule especially applies during the wintertime. When she was a smaller infant, I carried on her car seat blanket cover also because I didn't want that going through planeside gate check with the infant car seat.

This tip might be a superficial one, but dress your baby in gender specific clothing. As in, I always dress Tory in a pink outfit. Why? Because nothing irritates me more than a stranger telling me "what a cute little boy I have." SHE'S A GIRL! I also change said outfit as soon as we arrive at our final destination because again with the airport germs - eww.

10. Traveling alone with baby. When flying alone with Tory, I prefer the window seat because I'm in a more confined area. The last time we flew together, she occupied herself by lifting the window shade up and down and looking at the planes and lights on the runway for a solid 15 minutes. (There was a lot of "look, an airplane!" and "look, lights!" coming from our seat. Very thrilling). There's less room to chuck toys and food through the aisle if you're confined inside the row and only one person sitting beside you to apologize to if your child gets rowdy. Best of all, if I'm lucky enough to have a snoozing child, I sort of slither down in my chair and tuck a blanket around her. I'd like to believe this helps her sleep longer than if we'd be exposed in an aisle seat.

11. Fellow passengers. Generally, I've found people to be very friendly and always willing to help, especially when traveling alone. Don't be afraid to take them up on their offer if you need help lifting something or you drop a toy. One of the things that entertains Tory the most is playing peek-a-boo with the people seated behind us. I always try to make conversation with passengers seated around me so that it's not quite so awkward when the baby's flinging her bottle at them or offering them snacks.

12. Boarding time. You can board before everyone else so definitely take advantage of that time to get settled into your seat.

13. Personal time - ha! Don't even think about bringing a magazine or book to read ... because you won't have a chance. You'll be baby wrangling - no time! Decline the flight attendant's offer for a beverage and bring your own bottle of water because there's no chance you'll be able to manage an open cup of water or soda along with an active infant/toddler on your lap. The flight attendant will top off your baby's bottle of water, however, so that's an option should you need to feed/entertain the baby.

14. Stroller = high chair. I've found the stroller doubles for a high chair in a pinch. Out and about, in the hotel, airport, wherever. Way easier than trying to keep the baby still on your lap or sitting at a table.

15. Nursing. Breastfeeding can be a little awkward in an airport, depending on your comfort level. If you're not on the shy side, bring a cover up and nurse the baby while sitting at the gate while waiting to board or on the airplane ascending and descending to help the baby's ears adjust. If you'd like more privacy, it might be worth paying the one-time entrance fee at a Member Club to use their facilities. My husband's credit card gives him access to Delta's Sky Club and it was always a treat to isolate myself in a quiet, clean corner to feed Tory.

Above all, don't sweat the small stuff. If the baby is fussy or wiggly, try to smile and keep a positive attitude because it'll all be over in just a few hours.

Close to baby diamond status ... just a few more flights!

8 comments:

  1. Your advice was spot on before Charley's first flight! The Skymail magazine was the best toy ever, wearing her through security was so easy, the stroller doubled as high chair during our layover, & the snack suggestions were perfect. I DID have a poop situation though (she had a stomach issue at the time) and I was thankful for the extra outfit for both her and I, but had she not had a tummy issue I doubt I would have brought myself a change of clothes.

    You guys are such little jet-setters. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Switzerland this summer...although not with a baby. If you have any questions while you are planning your trip, ask away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all great! I find traveling with an infant/toddler to be the most exhausting thing ever. I can say I've breastfed pretty much everywhere, though, including in an aisle seat without a cover. (I don't actually have a cover, because my kids always refused to eat if under one.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh! I was a weekly reader of your blog, went up north to the cabin for a week, missed your announcement about going private (and therefore couldn't find your email address/couldn't contact with a request to still read), and on a whim today after these couple months, I tried your address and it worked! Hooray! (Sorry for the ridiculously long sentence.) I'm pumped to add you back to my reading list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I wish I was enthusiastic about traveling with my children as you are!
    This is an excellent list though. Very similar to what I would recommend if someone were to ask me, except I prefer to go the stroller route rather than carrier. And an umbrella or double umbrella stroller is KEY when traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, switzerland has a great little zoo. They give you a bag of plain popcorn that you can either eat or feed to the animals. Also if you time it right you can feed the elephants. http://lifewiththelundgrens.blogspot.com/2009/09/labor-day-weekend-in-switzerland.html It was near Zurich, I think... Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I seriously applaud your positive attitude and enthusiasm. But I will also venture the thought that you have been blessed with / lucky to have an "easy" baby. Our screamy meemy second child (read: screamed for about 14 months straight) would have been a MISERABLE traveler no matter what we did! Keep on keepin' on, sista.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great information, heather! Thank you for this post and for the looong but informative FB message :) I'm so excited that Cruz is taking his first flight and this info will be extremely helpful!

    I cannot believe you are taking little girl to Europe...how exciting and a little bit crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete