Monday, September 21, 2015

Letters to Aden: 22 Months

Aden,

You're 22 months old now! We have officially reached the stage when it becomes conversationally awkward to refer to your age by months.

Stranger: "Oh! How old is your [adorable] boy?"

Me: "He's twenty-two ... he'll be two in November."

Even I'm starting to forget the number of months you are!



You definitely act like an almost two-year-old. I was making lunch the other day and turned around to find you already sitting in your free-standing high chair. Somehow, you found a way to climb up there all by yourself. I walk by the bathroom at least 10 times a day and find water running from the faucet of the sink. A classic sign: "Aden was here." You're also tall enough now to open most of the doors in our house (stupid lever handles!) which means we have to keep the locks to outside engaged at all times. At the cabin, you can even push open the sliding glass doors if they aren't locked. You are observant and curious -- it's my job to make sure those qualities don't land you in trouble!

Speaking of climbing, you're also working hard this month to master the stairs. You're not interested in sitting or scooting down them any longer, but prefer to hold onto the railing and walk up and down. Sweetly, you started giving me kisses this month and also love handing out high-fives and "knucks" to others.


It was a month of several "firsts" and "lasts" for you. I stopped feeding you toddler formula with baby bottles this month, and now you're exclusively drinking soy milk via sippy cups. I thought the transition would be more difficult, but you only cried for a "baa baa" at one nap time, and then never asked for it again. You haven't been sleeping the greatest this month anyway, so I figured now was as good as a time as any to switch up your routine.

You were sick quite a bit this month, and that could've been to blame for your poor sleep. Daddy and I left you with a babysitter overnight for the first time in August while we went on a fishing trip in Canada. During that time, you came down with a case of the flu. Of course, you were alright but I felt terrible afterwards when I learned you'd been sick. You caught your first ear infection a few weeks later. You were MISERABLE for several days until the antibodics kicked in. Very little sleep and lots of fussing on your part this month. It's safe to say, you've been stuck to me like bees on honey.


Another big milestone this month was your first haircut! I was absolutely in love with your long blond curls this summer, but they seemed to disappear with the change in seasons and absence of humidity in the air. Suddenly, those precious tresses turned straggly-looking and I decided it was time for a trim. You were NOT PLEASED about getitng a haircut, but the end result is really too cute for words. I love how grown up you look now, and can't believe how much you resemble Tory now with shorter hair.

 
Finally, let me put on my proud mama hat and say how amazed I am by your intelligence. Your favorite book right now is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and you chant the words to the book along with me as I read it to you. Of course, it's a bit difficult to actually understand the words you're saying, but the rhythmic tone is there. You can also count 1-10 and have started increasing to 11, 12, 13 on occasion. I attribute this skill to Tory who constantly seems to be counting something. Apparently, you're listening and learning right along with her.

There is a huge soft-spot in my heart for you, Aden Boy. I love you so much. Thank you for being YOU!

XOXO,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, I always envision my son one year forward whenever I read about your Aden. I think I see a lot of potential for similarities in personality, and curiosity, and energy. (And they are both gorgeous, obvs). So it's a lot of fun to read what Aden is up to and imagine what life might be like for me in one year. ;)

    ReplyDelete