Friday, September 16, 2011

Hospital Check-List

My husband said it best: It's like staying at a two star hotel for a five star price.

I couldn't agree more. The hospital can really make or break your birthing experience. I'm thankful ours was a positive one (although, I haven't received the bill yet)! The care we received and our accommodations were clean, pleasant and met our level of expectations.

I received so many opinions from people prior to delivering on what to take with us to the hospital. Some friends tricked their hospital room out like a college dorm room and others said they didn't bring anything but themselves. Laura at The Diniwilks was kind enough to share her hospital check-list with me a few weeks before we headed to the hospital ourselves, and I'm so thankful she did. This mama was so organized it gave me a great jumping off point to craft my own need-to-haves. So, I thought I'd share what I brought to the hospital (and what I really ended up using). Hope it's helpful for some of you ... and will serve as a good reminder for myself next time around!



My Hospital Check-List

Clothes for Mom
  • Robe 
  • Two cheap nightgowns - I planned to wear one of these during delivery, but ended up wearing a bra only - I was so hot! They're nice to have at home now.
  • Black stretchy skirt - Got this idea from Laura at Navigating the Mothership. Great to wear in the days following with a nursing tank. Felt like I was wearing something semi-appropriate for visitors yet functional for hospital staff to do checks, etc.
  • Three nursing tanks - Only ended up wearing two of them, but glad I had another in case.
  • Two nursing bras - Only wore one of them, but glad I had options.
  • Five pairs of underwear - Didn't need them. Wore hospital mesh undies.
  • Three pairs of socks - Didn't wear them.
  • Slippers - Didn't wear them.


Clothes for Dad
  • 1 nicer pair of pajama pants - A must.
  • 1 t-shirt - Should have had two.
  • 1 button-up collar shirt - Didn't need.
  • 1 nice pair of shorts - Should have had two.
  • 1 pair of underwear - Should have had two.


Clothes for Tory
  • White and purple polka dot sleeper (preemie size) - Didn't wear, but was nice to have just in case she was super tiny.
  • White and pink dress with pink sweater (newborn size) 
  • Socks 
  • Receiving blanket


Toiletries
  • Toothbrush, toothpaste for both Andi and I
  • Shampoo and conditioner 
  • Razor 
  • Pick
  • Bobby pins - Didn't use.
  • Deodorant for both Andi and I
  • Makeup
  • Hair dryer
  • Straightener (travel size)
  • Dermoplast - Didn't use until I got home.
  • Tucks pads - Didn't use until I got home.
  • Breast pads - Didn't need - milk didn't come in until days later.
  • Nipple cream - Nice to have!


Other
  • List of friends/family to call
  • Laptops with chargers - Didn't use my laptop - no time!
  • Jambox
  • Tory's baby book for footprints
  • Pen and notebook to write down gifts
  • Thank you notes - Glad I brought these! I used four of them.
  • Car seat
  • Boppy pillow - Nice to have!
  • Phone chargers
  • Camera / camera charger
  • Magazines - Didn't read - no time!
  • Granola bars - Didn't need.
  • Zico coconut water - Didn't need.
  • Sour candy - Didn't need.

Things I WISH I would have brought:
  • My own pillow
  • More clothes for Andi - he ended up wearing the same clothes for days.
  • My own bath towel - the hospital's were like sandpaper!

1 comment:

  1. Very helpful....I need to start thinking about my check list - I can't believe it's already about that time!!

    PS you look great in that pic!! What a natural!

    ReplyDelete