Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas 2011 - Part One

It's our turn to visit my family in Nebraska this Christmas, so we celebrated the holiday with Andi's family here in town last weekend. I enjoy each family's get together for different reasons: on my side, I'm very steadfast in tradition (but we've always done it that way!) vs. Andi's family who embraces new ideas and adds traditions along the way. A few years ago when Andi's sister graduated college and moved back to the Twin Cities, we started doing a progressive Christmas dinner where we ate one course (appetizers, entree or desserts) at a different house (his sister's, his parent's or ours) so we could all see each other's homes decorated for the holidays and have a chance to entertain without all the hassle of the big production. Although with a new baby this year and returning to work, I just didn't have it in me to entertain at our house so Andi's mom volunteered to host it all this year (much to the disappointment of Andi's sister - sorry Linds!). We arrived at Janie and Jim's around 10:30am on Sunday to begin our celebration. Janie had snacks for us to munch on and a full bloody mary bar set out. I never turn down an opportunity to eat beef sticks and cheese marinated in booze ...


While Tory took her morning nap, we took advantage and opened our stockings. It's so interesting how every family has their own traditions when it comes to Christmas. Andi's family buys smaller gifts for each other, wraps them up and stuffs them in stockings (where as in my family, my mom does all the buying and the gifts are usually toiletries, socks, etc). We had to laugh, Andi listed bath salts on his Christmas wish list this year. My mom asked me a few weeks ago who would buy him bath salts for Christmas. "Andi's family would," I said. That's the type of things you get in stockings at their house - bath salts, an Ove Glove and ear muffs (like these adorable ones I received this year. Thanks to Tory for modeling).



Afterwards, we moved our party downstairs to open more gifts. It's crazy wonderful how blessed we are this year to have our health, a loving family around us and the addition of Tory Bean to our family. We didn't need any presents, but received the most thoughtful gifts nonetheless.

Lindsay made Janie a photo book capturing their trip to Europe together this spring.

Chloe got a new fuzzy blanket from Janie and Jim and sported her Santa dress from Andi's little cousin Mia. She was in heaven, obviously (except for the part where we made her wear that doggie outfit all day).

Daddy and Tory Bean opening gifts.

Andi's parents gave Tory the amazing gift of travel. They opened a savings accounts in her name with $200 and gave her a travel journal to document her life's adventures (Janie will write in it until she's old enough to do so herself). They wanted her to be able to backpack through Europe someday (or wherever else life's adventure takes her) and they'll add to the account as she grows. Isn't this the greatest gift?

Tory also received a Wood From The Hood growth chart (made from wood from a Twin Cities zip code), some jammies and Smart Wool socks, a handmade quilt, toys, stuffed animals and this singing puppy dog from Andi's grandma which SHE LOVES.


Tory hanging out on her new handmade quilt.

This year, Janie went above and beyond our fondue dinner tradition and served cheese and oil (to cook the meat in), along with ten different homemade dipping sauces for our meats, breads and vegetables. It was delicious! Another Christmas miracle? Tory took a snooze while we ate dinner so I actually ate hot food!


I am so fortunate to be part of this wonderful family. They welcomed me into their family six years ago and we've shared some wonderful memories together. Christmas 2011, Part 1 is in the books. Now we're jet-setting to Nebraska to celebrate with my family this weekend ... can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. I am having some SERIOUS in law jealousy over her - Andi's family sounds AMAZING! The gift of travel, are you kidding me?!! Are they looking to adopt a 32 year old?

    Also - I totally want an ove glove now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! That gift of travel is amazing. What a great idea! Now I want to do something similar... I LOVED being able to travel through Europe in college - seriously one of the best experiences of my life!

    Ben's family is very similar - we've done fondue a lot, one year we all made Asian themed food, sometimes it's breakfast - they are always changing it up! And they also love the Ove Glove :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story!!! The gift is amazing and I love e photos!

    ReplyDelete