Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Creepers

Creepers be creeping and it's really icking me the ick out.

After oversharing about my life on the Internet for the past four years with no second thought about it, I suddenly find myself questioning posting anything about myself, my family or my inner thoughts online. A rash of crude comments from one particular person (HEY YOU WHO WORKS AT RCIS!) has left me feeling exposed and hesitant to post anything here.

And really, isn't that defeating the purpose of having a blog in the first place? I started this site as a place to share life happenings with my family and friends across the country, and as a therapeutic spot to brain-dump all my internal struggles and hair-brain ideas. Now I'm regularly perturbed by a certain someone in Anoka who feels the need to spew sexual innuendos or non-helpful criticisms ON MY BLOG, and it hardly seems worth posting.

What's more, two days ago I noticed a Facebook friend request from someone whom I didn't know. I saw the same person had "liked" several of Tory's photos through Andi's Facebook page. Hmmm. Thinking it was probably some kid Andi used for event labor or something, I asked him about it that night. Turns out, he had no idea who it was either, but accepted the person as a Facebook friend anyway. WHAT?! I freaked out and made Andi un-friend the kid because why does some teenager we do not know need to be creeping on our life via Facebook? To which Andi responded, is the same thing people do on my blog every day.

Heh. Point well made.

Sigh. I'm half-tempted to take this blog private to avoid all this drama entirely. Yet, another part of me is thankful for the awesome friendships I've made through my blog which would've never occurred otherwise. Let's not forget the college friends and family members who I've developed stronger relationships with because we share a common interest in blogging. Maybe I'll just take a social media hiatus altogether? To be determined ...

5 comments:

  1. Ick! No good creepers ruining it for the rest of us who lurk respectfully :) I know I haven't commented in, well, forever, but wanted to offer my assistance to go kick some butt since I work in Anoka. Hopefully this dude is scrawny otherwise I don't stand a chance, but I'll give it my best effort! Some people just ruin everything. I've loved reading about your exciting little life, Miss Tory is getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuuck, hate that feeling. I felt pretty creeped out when I heard that someone was taking pics of Luke and Annie and claiming them as their own, but then I also just don't really see what ACTUAL harm could come from it, different than just existing in the public and being visible that way, so I choose to just ignore the creeper aspect of blogs and focus on the good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I go through phases of never posting pictures then saying screw it, I'm not going to let the weirdos stop me. Right now I kind of seem to be on a blog hiatus because I simply can't think of anything to say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Angela said , creepy creepers can't ruin it for those of us who lurk :). I don't comment enough Heather but love your blog!!! While id be heartbroken if you went private, I keep my blog private bc of work..... Sooo I kinda understand. Love the pics of Tory!!!!!! She is a doll!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a troll for a while. See if you can block their comments. I ended up closing comments for a while and the problem went away.

    ReplyDelete