Monday, August 6, 2012

I think it might be time to work out.


Holy crap, when did that happen? I've got two squishy love handles wrapped around my middle.

I bought these pants at Target the other day. I'm trying to branch out of my "all I wear is black and white" habit and the plum color called to me from the racks. I could pull this off, right? I've never bought pants from Target before so I'm not familiar with their sizing, but figured it can't be much different from everywhere else. I guessed my size, grabbed for the tag marked "Fit 6" and threw the pants in my shopping cart.

Now, I never try on clothes at the store because A) it seems like a lot of work (even though purchasing said item, trying it on at home and then returning it to the store when it doesn't work out seems like a lot more work when I think about it) and B) Tory was with me and trying on clothes while wrangling her in the dressing room doesn't sound like a barrel of fun. Had I tried on the pants in the store and discovered Fit 6 really means "squeeze everything in the middle up and over the top," I probably could've avoided this entire disappointing self-revelation: I need to work out.

I came home, threw the pants in my closet for a few weeks and pulled them out again just before date night with my husband this week. I ripped the tags off, shimmied one leg in, then the other, and tried to pull the pants up to my waist. Heh, kinda tight. Two pigs fighting under a blanket is not the look I was going for. When did this happen?! Oh, and awesome, I ripped the tags off so I can't even return these crap pants. Smart.

It's obviously the pant sizing that's goofy, I told myself. DUH! Cheap material, maybe? Weird fit? But over the last few days I've worn a few other pairs of pants from my closet and since realized they're all a little tight. I think it might be time to start working out. Either that, or stop eating like I have the metabolism of a 21-year-old. (I do not).

Keeping a fit figure is tougher after becoming a mother. It seems like we're home more now that we have a baby, which means we snack more, cook dinner more, and sit more when the chaos of the day is finally done. Part of me just wants to coast for a few more months until I'm pregnant again and then I can say "oh, I'm pregnant again! No use in focusing on a fit tummy now!" But, I really can't wait for that. I should do something now.

I've actually thought about joining a gym for a month or so. The free childcare while I have 60 minutes to myself was really the draw, but who says it can't be? Maybe that's the kick in the pants I need to get myself there. Look's like now is as good of time as any ...

6 comments:

  1. I am definitely guilty of thinking I'm a size smaller than I actually am now. I think when Luke is 1, maybe then I'll start some sort of physical activity. Before then, though? Nah. It's one thing if you actually enjoy working out, but I'm not one of those people - hope I can find something that isn't horrible though! I found a bunch of clothes in my basement from about 5 years ago and it was sort of depressing to try them on. I could get them ON, but it wasn't anything resembling comfortable or flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're wearing something called "fit 6" and talking about love handles, AND looking like that picture, then I don't think we can be friends anymore.

    Call me when your daughter says, "Mommy, why is your stomach big and squishy?" like mine did.... yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... or the time I was 9 months pregnant and had cankles, and was explaining to my daughters that it was fluid retention.... and then one of them patted my thigh and mournfully said, "Oh Mommy, and your legs, too...."

    ReplyDelete