Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Best Date Day

Andi and I had the best date-day on Sunday. My mother-in-law, Janie, called Andi earlier in the week and volunteered to watch Tory for a few hours. I told immediately told Andi to call her back and say YES! Not to sound like a horribly ungrateful stay-at-home-mother (because I do realize just how lucky I am), but after spending two solid weeks with Tory, I was in need of a little breather. My usual mommy free-time the last few weeks had been canceled because our babysitter was on Spring Break and with a few recent traveling work trips for Andi, I felt a little run-down.

On the way home from the cabin on Sunday, we swung by Andi's parent's house and dropped off Tory for the afternoon. "Stay out as long as you like," Janie said, but Andi and I didn't think we'd be gone for long. We planned to grab a movie nearby which is completely uncharacteristic of us. I think the last movie we saw in the theatre was Hunger Games and that's when it was in the cheap theatre, not even a new release! Of course the one time we agree to see a movie, there wasn't anything playing. On the way to the theatre, Andi turned to me and said "I'm half-tempted to go home and take a nap." "Can we get take-out first?" I asked, because I was starving, of course.

And that's just what we did.

Andi must have felt a moment of weakness and caved when I said I was craving Spinach and Artichoke Dip from Chili's. We don't have a lot of restaurant options around our house that aren't chains and let's be honest, I'm a slave for their tortilla chips so we ordered Car-Side To Go and to our home we went. It was just warm enough to sit outside on our three-season porch (my favorite spot in our entire house) so we dined on TV trays over an episode of New Girl.

Next, we decided to watch a movie so we rented This Is 40... while laying in bed on a Sunday afternoon. Can I even express how glorious this felt? It was like a trip to pre-kidville where time and quiet were of the plenty. The movie was horrible, but the company was perfect.

In our last 50 minutes of parenting freedom, Andi and I retreated to our own respective bathrooms in the house. He took a long shower and I took a warm bath with Tory's Sesame Street bubbles.


In that moment I realized I've never actually been at home without Tory. EVER. In 19 months, I've never spent one minute at my own house without my child accompanying me. It felt so peaceful. I probably should have used my kid-free time at home to do laundry or vacuum. Maybe next time.

My next goal is to be at home alone without my kiddo or husband in tow. It's hard to even imagine what I'd do with my free time! Maybe I'll check this one off my list by Tory's second birthday. (A girl can dream, right?)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! We just watched This is 40 the other night, and yeah, not so good. WAY too long and just kind of depressing. Ben also was extremely concerned about the daughter swearing at her parents - and spent far too long talking to me after the movie was over about how he hopes Annie isn't like that (I told him we have a pretty good start since we aren't a dysfunctional couple who screams and fights in front of our kids).

    Anyway, glad you had a great date day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom takes my kids one afternoon a week and I get to go home and be GLORIOUSLY alone. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh! The last movie I saw in the theater was Hunger Games too! How weird is that?

    I'm trying to think if I've ever been home sans baby, and don't think I have unless it was a brief time after John had taken her and I was still home for a few minutes. She did spend the night at my sister's once but we got home late from a wedding, and went and got her first thing in the morning. We should've taken advantage of that time...it sounds wonderful! I remember that kidless time too but it seems AGES ago. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome! Did you like the movie? Ironically, we also just watched that the other night, but I was not a fan. It was really depressing and I hope my family is never like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought This is 40 was hysterical. We just watched in a couple weekends ago. I TOTALLY see how it's a bit depressing, but it had me laughing pretty hard at some points too.
    You day date sounds perfect! I should try to push a "day date" with my hubby...that's WAY more my speed these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl I think you are onto something here. What a great idea to spend kid-free time at home, doing whatever you want, uninterrupted. Who needs movies or bars...free time at home sounds glorious.

    ReplyDelete