Thursday, May 30, 2013

Letters to Tory: 21 Months

Tory,

Another month older, my sweet girl; here we are again. I'm having a difficult time accepting you're just 21 months today old because this month seemed like you grew up by leaps and bounds. I keep a running list on my iPhone of your new accomplishments and favorite sayings, and the list for this month is overflowing with news.


I receive a weekly auto-generated email from a baby website with milestones and developments toddlers your age are likely experiencing. I file the information in the back of my mind somewhere; some things you've been doing for months and others I have yet to see. There were several "accomplishments" this month where I stopped and thought to myself "ah ha! here's ..." because you were sporting new skills almost every day.



For instance, you like to dress yourself now and can actually pull on your own pants, shirt and shoes (with some guidance). I've been very impressed with your ability to walk up and down stairs this month by holding someone's hand or hanging onto the railing. Very rarely do you scoot down the stairs or crawl up them anymore. It actually scares me a bit how fearless you are when navigating a tall staircase or monkeying your way into the high chair. Last weekend at the cabin, Daddy and I were packing up our things and watched you climb into the Ranger ATV so you could push all the buttons on the dashboard. Thankfully, you weren't in any real danger but your curiosity and independence are a little daunting sometimes.



You've had a big language burst this month. Some of your newest words are: Go, Knock Knock, Fall, Pink, Truck, Backpack, Baby, Big, Boat, Hot, No and Yay! One thing that seems so simple, yet really made me realize how much you're growing up this month, is how you now say "no" to a question or request instead of just shaking your head with an "un uh" sound. You also say "yay!" when you're excited to do something and it makes me laugh out loud every single time. Gotta love your enthusiasm! When we're all in the car together, you perform a roll call as if you're verifying your favorite people are there with you. "Mama. Dada. Mom. Dad" ... over and over again.



This month, you learned to throw overhand and practice by tossing anything and everything these days. (This can be a good or bad thing depending on what's in reach). I'm fairly certain you'll be right-handed as it seems like your dominate throwing and writing hand. Your interest in songs with physical actions has clicked recently and at swimming class, for example, you move your arms in the water in big exaggerated movements when we sing the Wheels on the Bus song.




You've been a great sleeper this month. Just like your mama, you love a good schedule and we've finally settled into a consistent 12:30pm - 2:00pm nap and 7:30pm bedtime. You usually wake up between 6:00am - 7:00am in the mornings. We're in one of those wonderful places where you go to bed without a fuss. Last weekend for the first time in your life, you actually said "night night" and pointed toward your bedroom when it was time to go to sleep. I've heard stories of other kids doing that but I would have never believed in a million years you'd be one of those children! I nearly fell over and died right then and there. The ease and enjoyment of this "good sleep" pattern is not lost of me because we've endured many months of bedtime struggles together. Let me just say thank you for this glorious time and kindly remind you how much happier and well-rested you are when you sleep.



Let's see, in other news, you love all things that "go" this month. Of course, you still love your baby dolls and playing kitchen, but you've also been into airplanes, trucks and trains. Every time you hear an airplane pass over head, you point up to the sky and make a "shoo!" sound. You exclaim "tuck! tuck!" whenever a big truck passes by us. Mickey Mouse has also been a favorite this month. You call him "Nah" and ask for "Nah" in the mornings while you're eating breakfast. Bubble Guppies are still a favorite for sure, but Mickey Mouse and his Clubhouse gang are surely stealing a place in your heart. You also like to take showers with Daddy this month and it melts my heart listening to you two laughing and playing together. I think all the laughing on your part is you spraying Daddy in the face with the spray nozzle. Personally, I'm loving sharing the responsibility of bathing you every single day.



One thing you don't like is touching the grass outside. Now that spring has finally arrived in Minnesota, we've made many trips to the park and played in the backyard with bubbles and bouncy balls. When you fall down, you'll lay there like a turtle with your arms and legs outstretched, shrieking until someone helps you to your feet. You remain a good, but picky eater. You love cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, peanut and butter and jelly sandwiches, tomato soup, grilled cheese and pineapple. You aren't a big fan of any "adult-like" meals like meat or veggies. Daddy gave you your own corn on the cob this month and you licked all the butter off -- no eating of the actual corn, though.



We made our first trip to the Minnesota Zoo this month with our friends Val, Kasen and Linden. You and I also took our first solo trip to Des Moines, Iowa and you did fantastic in the long car ride. I think you're going to have a ball at the lake cabin this summer. We took a boat ride around the lake with you this past weekend and you loved every single minute. Wearing a life jacket seems to be much more tolerable now you can stand and climb to get to where you want to go. You've come along way in 21 months, Tory Bean!

Life with you this month has been the best ever. I love being your Mama so much and I'm so very thankful for every single second we spend together. I love you, baby girl, with all my heart.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment