Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend: Part 2

Memorial Day weekend at the lake cabin wrapped just as relaxing and perfect as it started.

Sunday morning started with a road trip to Wal-Mart in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. Andi wanted to grab a few "stock up" supplies and we also bought a new set of dinnerware for the cabin kitchen. My main motivation in going was to buy Tory one of these Bubble Mowers I saw at Wal-Mart a few weeks. I've been on the hunt for fun outdoor toys for Tory and I need two sets of activities - one for home, one for the cabin - preferably, different things to keep her interested. (Alright, I'm also a sucker for kids toys and I find the resistance to buying her everything in existence nearly impossible). Seriously though, wouldn't she just love a bubble mower? I think so. Unfortunately, they weren't any at the store so I'll have to buy one another day.

Andi's aunt Barb and uncle Ken drove up from the Twin Cities on Sunday afternoon for a visit. We spent the cool, sunny afternoon taking a long pontoon ride all around the lake (as in ... all around the lake. I think it might have been Tory's first time visiting North Pipe Lake and she loved every single minute of being on the boat). I brought Tory's bubble bucket (one of the best summer toys for kids out there - love this thing!) and we blew bubbles, waved to the boats passing by and Tory "helped" Daddy by pushing all the buttons on the dashboard.


Captain Dad and his First Mate
Wearing Daddy's hat on the boat

We were bundled up in coats, pants and sweatshirts, but honestly the weather wasn't too unpleasant. Memorial Day weekend is never all that warm, despite our best wishes for it to instantly be summertime. I could almost feel summer within our reach, though. In a week or two, we'll be running around the yard in our swimming suits and teaching Tory to fish off the dock. Hooray for time at the lake!

Barb brought crab legs for dinner (Andi's all-time favorite) so we boiled a big feast for dinner -- crab legs, corn on the cob and red potatoes. Andi used his big stock pot (which he actually purchased for his Halloween costume last year) and it was perfect for steaming dinner out on the deck. I foresee many seafood boils on the patio this summer.



Today, Memorial Day Monday, Andi and I took Tory for a nature walk through the wooded trails near our lake cabin. We were all having so much fun! Tory literally squealed with excitement as she collected pine cones and sticks on the ground. Chloe's nose was in overdrive as she explored and sniffed all the smells along the trail. Andi and I looked at each other a bazillion times and said how happy cabin life makes us feel. So truly blessed to live the life we do together.




Little explorer

Classic Tory face

Trying out our Kelty backpack for the first time

Chloe 
A rare photo of just me

Love this girlie
Tory - 20 months

Our family of three ... for just a little bit longer

Sad to pack up and leave the cabin today after such a fun, relaxing weekend together, but I'm so looking forward to many summer weekends ahead at our favorite place on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment