Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tory, Lately

Miss Tory Bean has her big monthly birthday coming up in a few days, so not to steal the thunder of all her 21st month accomplishments ... but I wanted to take a minute to document what a wonderful delight my little Beanie has been the last few weeks.

It wasn't too long ago, I was pulling my hair in frustration regarding Tory's near-constant pre-Terrible Two's struggles. Every single thing last month was a battle -- eating, picking out clothes, getting dressed, sleeping, getting ready to play outside, coming indoors from outside, etc. Tory was driving me to drink, which coincidentally, wasn't very convenient for Baby #2 growing inside me. (Don't worry, Baby #2, I didn't hit the [wine] bottle.)

Lately, Tory has been a pure joy. PURE JOY. She is smart and funny and happy and silly and ... I am on such a parenting high because I'm so in love with this kid of mine.



Tory wants to be independent by putting on her own clothes in the morning, but she's not demanding about it. She pops her little arms through the sleeves and shouts "peek!" She tosses her tennis shoes to me and roars with laughter when I catch them one-handed. I ask her if she'd like a yogurt with breakfast and she replies "oh!" which is code for "yes, mom, I'd love a yogurt with my toast." Her new thing is to shout "yay!" whenever she's excited about something and it seriously makes me belly laugh every time. I love her enthusiasm for life. She makes my days so much brighter.

I was really dreading two weeks of solo parenting when Andi was working in Montana this month, but it turned out to be some of my favorite moments spent with my girl. We laughed; we played toys; we spent time at the park. I loved every single second of our time together.



There were several floating-on-a-cloud, surreal parenting moments like when I heard her say "baby" for the very first time. We were reading a bedtime book and she pointed to a baby on the page, calling it just so. Tory's love for baby dolls is deep, so I was always surprised she didn't have a verbal cue for her precious loves. Now, clear as day, she says "baby." It is truly the most magical feeling to see your child's development before your very eyes. I love watching her smell flowers as she passes by them in the yard and stop dead in her tracks as the sound of birds chirping. It's easy to appreciate all of life's wonders when you see it through the eyes of a toddler.

That Trace Atkins country song always gets me to my core when I hear it play on the radio. "You're Gonna Miss This ..." and I will. These are the days I hold dear in my heart and want to remember always -- this deep love I have for my Tory Girl. I'm so blessed to be his girl's mama.

5 comments:

  1. This age is truly so much fun! (Our LOs are just a few weeks apart) the enthusiasm and silliness makes you realize how lucky we are to be parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tory is just tooooooo cute! She will be so much fun this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do really truly love that age so much! I still look back at videos of that time with Annie, when she was first talking so much more, and I get teary eyed, it was just so amazing to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tory is absolutely adorable! It's fun seeing / reading about the similarities between her and Cruz. And I'm so glad you two had a good week together while Andi was gone!

    ReplyDelete