Monday, September 23, 2013

If I Knew Then What I Know Now...

When I was in college, I had a regular babysitting gig watching two little girls on Fridays. The dad was a doctor in town and the mom stayed home full time. I remember thinking how privileged the mother was for having a regular babysitter every week so she could "run errands."

Fast forward 10 years and I wish I could call that lady and apologize for being so rude to her inside my head. I get it now! Of course she didn't want to lug her three kids (one was in school during the day) all over town when she could accomplish so much more in a few hours without them. Now that I'm a mom myself (to one active toddler who does not sit nicely in the grocery cart), I completely understand what a luxury (and how needed it is sometimes!) to have to a few hours of alone time each week.

Tory's first nanny, Allison, is babysitting for us on Monday mornings and holy cow, am I so thankful to have her back in our lives. For one, she does an amazing job and Tory loves her to pieces. I also trust her completely and will have no issue leaving Baby Boy in her care. I can only hope she doesn't have those same thoughts about stay-at-home moms and their "free time."

Most babysitter mornings, I usually run around town like a mad woman stocking up on groceries for the week, going to frequent doctor's appointments for the baby, getting my car's oil changed and whatever else I can fit into a few hours' time by myself. This morning was different. Tory's new big girl bed was scheduled to be delivered today, but I didn't receive the time confirmation until a few hours beforehand. Therefore, I grocery shopped yesterday and left my calendar fairly open today so I could be home to receive the delivery as needed. When the furniture company called to say they'd be over in the afternoon, it left me with four kid-free morning hours to fill. I could have done a million different things, but decided to treat myself to quiet time in a coffee shop. Rare is a time most mothers get to sit, relax and breathe. (Especially mothers with newborns, which will be me in 50 days or less).

I know how fortunate I am for the luxury of time and it doesn't go unappreciated. Today, I soaked in every minute and it felt amazing. Every mother should have the chance to catch their breathe once in a while; to come back to their kiddos recharged and ready to be the best parent they can be. #feelingblessed

(Also in my free time this morning, I decorated my front porch for fall which just makes me happy. I'll add some orange pumpkins after we visit the pumpkin patch).


3 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss free time. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh so glad for you! Time off is SO important!!! Glad you got to soak it up and enjoy yourself mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still struggle with a bit of guilt about using daycare even though I'm not working. I know it's good for AJ to socialize and she always has so much fun there, but it still makes me feel a bit spoiled. Which is even sillier now since I still have Walker at home with me when she is at daycare, so it's not like I'm at home with NO kids, but it feels like SUCH a light load in comparison to my days with 2 or 3 kids. I'm so ready to put him in daycare for a few hours a week too so I can really get some stuff done each week, but his schedule is still so wacky, it's too hard to know when I'll need to pump and whatnot while he is there.
    Aaaanyway, time on your own is sooo good for you. And it's not like we are sitting around eating bonbons while we are kid free....kind of crazy how grocery shopping alone has become such a desirable luxury, huh?! Haha!

    ReplyDelete