Friday, September 20, 2013

Just Preparing

This may be repeat info for those of you following me at Baby In The Bubble, but earlier this week Andi and I attended a tour at a "second choice" hospital we're considering for Baby Boy's delivery. "Hospital B" we'll call it is a closer distance to our house and has a new birthing wing while still being in our insurance's preferred network, so we're weighing our options between "Hospital B" and "Hospital A" (where we delivered Tory).

Since the tour, our upcoming stay in the hospital has been on my mind and I have to say, it's a bit strange being on the "been there, done that" side of delivering a baby. With Tory, Andi and I had no idea what to expect and I think it's safe for any parent to say, you never do until you experience it for yourself. Really, that goes for all aspects of parenting. What's more, I don't think any one labor or hospital stay is the same as another. There's so many variables involved in a baby's birth, the best you can do is plan what you can and pray for the rest.

I read a blog post the other day about making / bringing a door hanger to hang in the hospital to announce your baby's arrival and gender and while I think the door hanger idea is super cute, it also made me realize how not prepared I am for this baby's delivery. I haven't even thought about what necessities I'm bringing with us to the hospital, let alone making crafts to display in our room. Last time, Andi and I prided ourselves in not being one of those couples who rolls in with a giant luggage cart packed with stuff of stuff. Though in hindsight, there were some things I wished I had last time and will bring along this time -- like, more clothing options for myself and blankets/pillows to make us feel more comfortable. Delivering a baby in the hospital is kind of like staying in the most expensive / crappiest hotel where you have to bring everything along with you.

Since having Tory, I've heard examples of people bringing gifts or treats to the hospital for the nursing staff. A little Internet searching says some people bring things like cookies or muffins, or even travel-size lotions or hand sanitizers. Is this a "thing?" Should I have baked or purchased treats for my nursing staff two years ago, or is this something that's spread like wildfire through Pinterest? When Tory was born, I gave thank-you notes to my favorite nurses before we left the hospital, but I didn't bring food or gifts. I'm now wondering if I should add "buy muffins or cookies from a bakery" to my hospital packing list. Or, is this going above and beyond what the average person does?

With plus/minus eight weeks left, I'm quickly realizing I have so much more to do before Baby Boy's arrival. I think it's the downside of having a second baby; I don't feel the rush to complete any one thing (as in, I'm more interested in decorating my house for fall than going through totes full of baby stuff packed away) and suddenly I'm running down to the wire. Last night, I stayed up way past my bedtime writing a to-do list so I can actually start taking action. Things like "make freezer meals," "finish Christmas shopping" and "assemble big sister / little brother presents" made the list. Not feeling overwhelmed over here. Nope, not even a little bit. (EEK!)

7 comments:

  1. I felt like this a lot when pregnant with Paul. Like...I should be doing something! I need to prepare! But I didn't really end up doing that much. I don't think I even packed a hospital bag until we were leaving and it turned out fine. I doubt I will this time, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Presents for the hospital staff? My delivery room nurse was fantastic, but all she got was a verbal 'thank you' (if that - I might have been a little preoccupied). If presents are the norm, the hospital staff must have thought I was a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No no no!! Do NOT bring crafts or staff presents to the hospital - that is an utterly ridiculous waste of your time. Good GOD. -- KimO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does you OB and your pediatrician have privledges at both hospitals? I thought I was delivering at one hospital w Spencer until my 7th month when I found out my OB did not have privledges there and I has to go to a different (perfectly good but further away) hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your description of the hospital stay, haha! It really is the most expensive, crappiest hotel! But I found my hospital stay sooo enjoyable after having #2 and #3....it was like a mini vaca away from real life to just cuddle and dote on my newest baby!
    With my first two deliveries I had really outstanding nurses and we got to know then a bit during the delivery, so I sent flowers and a box of goodies to them at the hospital the week after our babes were born. I was only with my delivery nurse for an hour this lat time, so I didn't bother since we didn't even really have time to forge a relationship or anything. I think the party favors at the hospital trend is a tiny bit ridiculous (and you know how much I love parties/planning!). But a lot of people do it, I guess. Do you know any nurses? I wonder what their take on this trend is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No. It's not a thing. That's ridiculous. I did send thank you cards after Eriana's birth (and I made goodies and took them to the hospital after my first delivery, but I didn't have anything better to do then). If you feel like you have a great experience and want to do something later (cards, goodies, etc.), feel free, but no, don't do something pre-baby. What if you hate the staff? If you think it's something you might want to do later, I would be sure you have a notebook and pen and get their names for later. Also, I highly recommend the freezer meal thing if you have time! We had meals for a month after Eriana (plus whatever friends made and brought), and it was so, so great. Hospitals have hand sanitizer, but if you want to grab a couple of travel-sized bottles to throw in your purse, diaper bag, etc., that might be helpful not just for the hospital. Also, all of my friends who had cute door hangers were gifts/made by friends. Not a one made it themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also must have missed the memo when I had Finleigh last month, about giving the nurses thank-you gifts. EEK!
    I figure that you're at the hospital to get rested and recuperate. I do think it's nice when the nurses go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable, but from working in a hospital it's also part of their jobs to do this without special thank-yous!
    I think no matter how much you prepare for labor you still won't be prepared enough :)!

    ReplyDelete