Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Closing Time

Last Friday's house closing was quite the experience. It's the first time I'd ever bought a house (our other houses were purchased by Andi before we were married) and we wanted to buy this one exclusively under my name. At 30 years old, I'm embarrassed to admit I know nothing about owning a house. I mean, I've been responsible for years now, but I never paid much attention to Andi when dealing with all the things home owners do. And since Andi's the one who generally takes care of these things for us, so the entire experience was a bit foreign to me. Compounding this, I really REALLY hate gathering financial data and calling on services. Typically, I beg, barter and plead for Andi to take care of this stuff. But this was something I had to do on my own and so, I pulled on my big girl pants and drove to the closing by myself on Friday.

As I drove to the closing, I crossed the city in a torrential downpour. My realtor met me at my car with an umbrella (Of course I don't own one. Why would you want to possess something that shields you from being drenched before an important meeting?) Thank goodness my realtor was a gentleman and thought of me, but even with the umbrella, we were both soaked by the time we crossed the parking lot. I was so embarrassed when I walked into the meeting, drenched like a wet dog.

Little did I know, I didn't need to worry about MY appearance. The closer, my realtor and I waited for a few minutes for the sellers and their realtor to arrive. We waited a few more minutes, then finally decided to get started on my paperwork while we waited for them to show. Forty minutes later, the sellers and their realtor arrived, looking like they hadn't showered in weeks. Dirty clothes, wet hair and caked-on makeup - they were quite the trio.

To make matters worse, the sellers acted like 10-year-old boys. They giggled while signing the paperwork, one claimed he was probably signing his internal organs away and their realtor did nothing but send texts the entire meeting. I sat there and watched (almost embarrassed for them) as they finished their paperwork. When it came time to hand over the keys, they fumbled and finally dug out three keys from their pocket. One of the sellers said the black skull key didn't work very good; I said I didn't plan to use a skull key anyway.

At the end of it all, I bought a house. My first one. And I was proud. I met Andi over at the new house to  take a quick walk-thru before jetting off to Nebraska for my weekend baby shower. I told him about my experience and imagined those boys living in my new place. I couldn't envision it, which I guess was a good thing.

And now for your viewing pleasure, more house photos. Because it's so pretty and fun to look at!

Upstairs Livingroom

Tory's Nursery

Tory's Nursery

Three Season Porch

Kitchen

Downstairs Living Room

Kitchen

Master Bedroom

3 comments: