Sunday, July 31, 2011

Two

Two years ago I married my best friend.

I've been racking my brain all weekend, trying to think about why this day - our anniversary - is special. It's a day to remember the moment we promised to be together forever. It's a day to remember how we committed to taking this journey called life by each other's side, hand in hand.

For the life of me though, I couldn't drum up that special feeling I wanted to exude. And then it hit me: every day with my husband is special, just like our wedding day. It doesn't have to be July 31 to make me remember how lucky I am to be married to this guy.

He is my soul mate. My sounding board. My compass in life. I would seriously wander aimlessly without his strong hand, yet compassionate voice leading me through each day. He knows me better than anyone in this entire world. He knows my thoughts before I even say them and more often than not, we do this creepy thing where sentences form in unison and it's in those moments I realize how lucky I am to have married the man I did. God knew all along Andi was the man of my dreams.

---

It's an unusual day for us to celebrate our anniversary. In this nine month pregnant body of mine, I feel limited in the ways we can celebrate. Can't travel to someone new and interesting, the way we'd normally find enjoyment in ringing in a new year together. Hard to snuggle and be close with a big ol' belly in between us. I find myself feeling twitchy as we call it an easy weekend and celebrate by doing things around our new house, making dinner together, taking the dog for a walk - things we do on any given day.

But then, isn't that what a great marriage is all about? It feels cozy to celebrate our day just as we always do. Together in the comforts of our home, with Chloe pup trotting by our side.

---

This morning, we woke up around 7:00am and decided to exchange anniversary gifts. The second wedding anniversary dictates cotton, and Andi encouraged me to open mine first. Wrapped in pretty brown paper with a white ribbon were four beautiful handmade Christmas stockings, each embroidered with the names - Mom, Dad, Tory and Chloe. The simple gift took my breath away. It's like our future of family, holidays and traditions laid out before me. I'm holding back tears as I look at them; one of the most precious gifts I've ever received. My gift of a gazillion-count monogrammed cotton sheets hardly holds a candle to his sweet stockings but I know Andi seemed happy. He's a sucker for nice sheets, I know that much about him.




After presents, we headed over to Noerenberg Gardens - the place we said our wedding vows. Funny how walking up to the flowery gardens makes me feel just like I did on that day. A little bit nervous, mostly excited and full of love for my husband.

Two years



Next we went to breakfast at a nearby restaurant called Sunsets, then came back home to relax. The rest of our anniversary day is ahead of us and we've got little planned. We'll spend it like we always do - walking the dog, making dinner, hanging out - together like a married couple who's love grows for each other more everyday.

Wedding Day
July 31, 2009

3 comments:

  1. Happy two year anniversary Dicksons!! I know I will always remember your anniversary date :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm hot, love my hand in your panties getting you really wet

    ReplyDelete