Friday, July 8, 2011

CSA Update

We're on Week 5 of our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and I have to say, I'm still really enjoying the fresh, local, organic produce each week. That said, I find our weekly box much more functional when I do some menu pre-planning beforehand. Unfortunately, with the Fourth of July holiday at the cabin and our move to the new house next week, I just haven't been meal planning / buying groceries.

Last week's CSA box:



The early part of the season yields an abundance of greens - Chinese napa cabbage, spinach, mixed greens, Swiss chard as well as kohlrabi, broccoli, strawberries, radishes, and garlic scapes. I'll be the first to admit, I'm getting tired of (and running out of ideas) for spinach. There are so many strawberry spinach salads you can consume before they become very boring. I do know, however, this is probably the last week of it so I should enjoy it while we have it.

My new favorite ingredient is garlic scapes. I'd never used these before (or really heard of them, for that matter) but they're essentially a green part that grows off the garlic bulb. Removing them from the garlic plant while it's growing diverts more energy to the bulb to grow. You can chop up the garlic scapes and use them in any recipe, in replacement of garlic. Last weekend, I added them into my popular Avocado Salsa recipe and it was a hit!

Here are a few recipes I made for Fourth of July using my veggies and a few I'm planning to make this weekend:

Made at the cabin last weekend; husband loved it as did the rest of the cabin guests. Not too spicy and can be paired with crackers or veggies

Using up some strawberries and rhubarb from a plant at the cabin this weekend

Made at the cabin last weekend; went fast! Easy to throw together for a quick side salad

Planning to make this weekend with my Chinese Napa Cabbage

Planning to try this recipes suggested by fellow blogger Kate Bee

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the baked spinach! I'm totally adding garlic scapes to my list of to-try foods.

    ReplyDelete