Friday, November 4, 2011

Getting Pretty

I saw a makeup tutorial on another blog recently and it both sparked interest and a feeling of inadequecy in me all at once. I'm 30 years old and I do relatively NOTHING to get pretty anymore.  What if I'm turning into one of those people who have the same look for twenty years and no one tells me? Am I destined for a national television makeover - the frumpy mommy who needs a new style? Seriously though, would it be all that bad to have Stacy London take you on a $5,000 shopping spree? Embarrassing for a minute, but then shopping with someone else's money ... hello!

I'll admit, I've never really known the CORRECT way to apply makeup. In high school I bought the basic drugstore essentials - foundation, blush, eye shadow and mascara and haphazardly put them on my face. I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't have a big sister to ask, but I did my best and treaded on the side of caution. In college, I roomed with a gal who sold Mary Kay and she convinced me to buy all kinds of eyeshadows, pencils and foundations. I still use Mary Kay, but over the years I've paired down my product selection. Today, I use foundation and mascara. That's it. When did I become so boring?

The other day I asked Andi if he noticed me not wearing as much makeup as I did when we met. He said he hadn't and quickly recommended I not change a thing. I'm sure his opinion is solely based on how many minutes it takes me to get ready to go somewhere. At what point in life did comfort and convenience overtake sexy and swagger? I'm glad his assistant is a 30-year-old guy or I might have some competition!

So, here's my make up bag and my daily makeup routine: Mary Kay Creme-To-Powder Foundation and Covergirl Mascara. I obviously have more products here than I use; most of them are old and should probably be thrown away ... although the thought of doing so is really hard to do for some reason.


I bought some concealer recommended in the online blog tutorial in an effort to cover the bags under my tired mommy eyes. I'm also going to give eyeliner and eyeshadow another go. Maybe lip gloss too? I'm scared of becoming a run-down thirty-something and I wonder if that's the path I'm headed down if I don't jump back on the makeup bandwagon STAT.

I'm curious ... what's your makeup routine and what products do you love?

4 comments:

  1. Don't feel badly - I'm a mascara and chapstick fiend- I can't leave home without them on! It doesn't help that my lashes are blonde and if I don't wear mascara I look like I'm 12. I do use MAC products and LOVE them! My go-tos are the Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation, a little blush, good ole Maybelline mascara and chapstick! Recently I've been using concealer for under my eyes and it seems to help!
    You are beautiful, don't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have wrote this post! I feel the same exact way : ) There are times I think about attempting to do more - but then other things come up!

    I too think you look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a) you're naturally gorgeous, thank your lucky stars for that one!!!
    b) favorite products??? uffdah. I'm a junky. MAC anything and everything. Daily it's usually the MAC paintpot with eyeshadow in either texture, shale or another random color on top. Sometimes their twist up pencils which are so easy, go on smooth and last forever. then mascara and line my eyebrows in powder. Occasionally face powder or tinted moisturizer. WOW! I guess I do put some stuff on - ha!

    Otherwise though, I love clinique for any and all skin and facial care products.

    Those are my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I have two levels of makeup and three levels of existing in the makeup-application world. Days like today where I committed to baby-cuddling all day, there is NOTHING on my face. But, I have been trying out a trick another friend of mine who had a baby three weeks before me does...she applies a concealer/bronzer and eyeliner. And she looked GREAT everyday I stopped to see her after she had the baby. It was crazy - and she said it was all due to the eyeliner. So, whenever we've had people stopping over or I'm just running out quickly, I sweep bronzer across my face and hope it doesn't look splotchy, put a charcoal eyeliner on and then I did purchase the clear mascara that just defines your lashes but won't run or leak off the edges of your eyes. The eyeliner trick is something I am totally loving - makes you look WAY more put together than the effort it takes to put it on your face!

    ReplyDelete