Monday, May 14, 2012

My First Mother's Day

I've dreamt of being a mom for as long as I can remember, so I've been eyeing my first Mother's Day on the calendar since the day I learned I was pregnant. As cheesy as it sounds, my only request was to celebrate the day with my two best loves - Andi and Tory. Without them, I wouldn't have the great honor of being a mom.

My special Mother's Day started on Thursday when I arrived home from work. I walked in the door, looked around and heard giggles coming from the playroom down the hallway. Tory and the nanny were playing toys together. I noticed a beautiful bouquet of white daisies on the kitchen counter, with a note that read "Happy Mother's Day! We made you this vase but it's still wet so be careful!" The nanny made me a hand-painted vase for a Mother's Day gift with Tory's tiny hand print on it. I was so touched!

On Friday afternoon, Andi, Tory and I drove to our cabin on Pipe Lake. We're renting the same Wisconsin cabin as we did last summer and this was our first official weekend there. Tory slept for most of the 80 mile drive while Andi and I enjoyed the quiet time, just the two of us. We picked up our new pontoon, grilled steaks and spent the rest of Friday night relaxing at the cabin.

Saturday was the perfect day. Tory took two awesome naps (who doesn't sleep well at the cabin?) and I finally had a chance to catch up on reading blogs while Andi tackled chores around the cabin. I wouldn't be able to pay my husband $100 to mow the lawn at our house, but he jumps at the chance when he's at the cabin ... and looks dang sexy doing it, too. Saturday afternoon, I laid outside on a blanket in the grass and read my Kindle. It was the most relaxing hour I've had as a mother yet. After Tory woke up, we went for a boat ride and played toys in the yard.

Lounging by the lake

Tory and Mommy

Is there any place more relaxing?
Saturday night, Derrick and Ellie, our friends with whom we share the cabin, arrived. After Tory went to bed, we grilled steaks and hamburgers and sat on the deck with cocktails in hand. The boys took the pontoon out for a late-night fishing session while Ellie and I stayed back and had a girl's night.

Sunday morning, Andi's parents arrived at the cabin. Andi made everyone breakfast and we sat outside on the deck enjoying the warm sunshine while we ate together. Andi and Tory gave me a hoodie, pajama pants, flip flops and gift cards to Target and Banana Republic for Mother's Day. Later Andi's sister Lindsay arrived and we spent the afternoon taking boat rides and enjoying the beautiful weather outdoors. During Tory's nap, Andi and I snuck away for an ATV ride around the cabin trails. Even though Mother's Day is about being with your kids, I loved spending a hour or so with my husband. 

Tory and Grandma Janie

Our little family
The extended family
L to R: Lindsay and Chloe, Jim, Tory and I, Andi and Janie
Miss Tory's first time sitting in the grass
(she didn't like it very much)
Lawn games are replaced with baby swings at the cabin this year.

Sometimes I still can't believe I've been given this amazing opportunity to be a mom. And, to have such a special little girl as a daughter? I'm thankful for her everyday. My first Mother's Day was simple, relaxing and perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Happy 1st Mother's Day! Sounds like it was just perfect :) I loooove Tory's little outfit...soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete