Wednesday, May 2, 2012

We Found Mary Poppins (Again)

On Sunday, I extended a job offer to a new nanny. I'm so, so thankful to have the chore of finding someone new to care for Tory over and done. Her name is Manda* (*not her real name) and I think she'll be a perfect fit for our family. She's earning her bachelor's degree in Elementary Education and shares a love for travel, just like we do. She starts next Monday. I'm having her come over for a few hours in the morning to show her our routine and then she's on her own on Tuesday. GULP!

We used Care.com again to post our position and had a whopping 52 applicants apply this time around. Of course, some of the candidates were easy to weed out from the get-go, but there was also a steady amount of candidates I painstakingly corresponded with by email, phone-screened and finally interviewed. In the end, we met with three candidates last week - all of whom were very sweet and qualified - before finally selecting Manda.

This means our current nanny's last day is Thursday. To say I'm bummed is an understatement. Tory and I have developed such a fond relationship with her. I've known how lucky we were to have someone so easy-going and responsible all along, but it's really hitting me this week as our last days with her tick away. Tonight, she gifted Tory a scrapbook filled with photos she snapped over the last few months.


Of course, they're photos I haven't seen before as she took them on her watch, and I absolutely love seeing images of them playing together, reading stories and rocking in the nursery. At the end of the book, she wrote a letter to Tory telling her how lucky she feels to have been able to care for her the last few months. She also recorded this quote which I thought was so touching:

"If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you. - Winnie The Pooh

I had tears in my eyes as I read her beautiful gift. I keep telling myself we'll keep in touch with her, but I also know we'll probably lose contact over time. That's just how life goes.

I hope our new nanny is smart and kind just like our first. I hope she's patient with Tory and learns to love her just as much as we do. It's hard to trust someone new with our most precious gift but we have to take the leap. I'm sure she'll be great ... I'm crossing all my fingers and toes we strike gold a second time.

3 comments:

  1. That quote made me tear up too! What a wonderful gift. Glad you found someone new, that has to be a huge relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, I'm tearing up too. Clearly she loves your little girl, what a wonderful thing. Good luck next week with "Manda"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heather, how lucky you are to have found someone like that to care for Tory! I'm sure the new nanny will work out just as well and Tory will be very happy with your choice!

    ReplyDelete