Monday, January 7, 2013

Peaceful Getaway

My poor husband has been working like crazy and his one day off this weekend, we decided to escape reality and head to the cabin. We were both on the fence if making the drive for less than 24 hours was worth it but then again, when have we ever gone there and wished we hadn't? NEVER. I'm so glad we took the opportunity to get away for some time together. Andi really needed the mental break, and I needed the quality time with my two favorite people.

Friday night, we stopped by the cabin to crank up the heat and then headed down the lake to our landlords' cabin for a beer. I had to laugh when we pulled up and Andi hopped out of the truck to run inside the cabin. It was dark and quiet in the car for a second or two before Tory worriedly said, "Mom?" Poor thing thought she was left alone in the dark car! "I'm here!" I said. It wasn't funny, but it was. I just get a kick out of her turning into a little person, communicating with us and all. Andi and I giggled about it all night long.  

Saturday morning, we lounged around the cabin, played toys and re-directed Tory from climbing on the  kitchen table about a hundred times. Andi bought some tip-ups to ice fish on the lake outside our cabin. It's a pretty good system - he drilled holes in the ice, set up these fishing "tip-ups" and then watched for the flag to raise from inside the cabin warmth. Unfortunately, he never caught anything because he needed to be deeper in the lake. Next time ....

The weather was fairly balmy for this area in January at 25 degrees, so we decided to take Tory for a sled ride. Andi got this new infant toboggan for Christmas and it worked perfectly for Tory's size. She loved it so much she even fell asleep! (That's what holding her off to one nap a day will do).

 
We headed over to the landlord / neighbor's cabin again to pick up Tory's Christmas present. On the way there, Andi decided we should walk on the frozen lake. It was snow-covered so it didn't really feel like we were on the ice, but I felt pretty proud of myself for walking on a frozen body of water without any complaining. You wouldn't have got me out there for anything a few years ago! I'm coming quite a way in being converted to a Minnesotan. On the way back to our cabin, we walked through the wooded trails.


Tory never made a peep during our entire walk. She had such a fun time on the sled ride.

Unfortunately, we had to pack it up and head home Saturday evening. Even for one day, the cabin proves to be our very favorite place on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment