Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Annual Report

Every December 31, when I sit down to reflect on the year gone by, I always have a hard time remembering what happened when. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Maybe we're fortunate to have shared mostly happy memories and therefore they blend together over time. Maybe once I record something on my blog, the details fade into history. It's fun to look back at the last 12 months and see just how much we've changed and experienced. Here's a recap of 2012: (also here's, 2009, 2010, 2011)

January 16 
It took me five months as a new mother to start feeling like myself again. Longer really, if I count the moment I felt like my own person again and not just Tory's mom. Having a baby really does a number to a woman's physical and emotional well-being. Some people make it look so easy, as if becoming the primary care provider for another human life doesn't really affect them. January 16th, 2012 was the day I felt like me again. I finally found the balance of life with a baby, being a wife and a working mom.


The beginning of 2012 was also the transformation of Andi and I into adulthood. Real adulthood. The turning point in time where we realized we actually liked living in the suburbs and that eating at chain restaurants wouldn't kill us (Andi may still be struggling with that one). More than once, I found myself listening to Michael Buble and we almost always were asleep before the 10 o'clock news.

February 13
I stayed home for my 31st and playing it low key, which is completely uncharacteristic of the way I like to celebrate my birthday. Spending all day with my baby girl seemed just special enough.


March 5
Andi, Tory and I went on an impromptu trip to Austin, Texas when we saw a last-minute flight deal pop up on the Internet. I love my memories of this trip, even though it wasn't anything remarkably monumental. I love how spontaneous my husband is and any chance we experience something new, he takes it. This trip was also our first time staying in a hotel with a baby and we learned a few lessons along the way, like how to give a baby a bath in the sink, install a car seat into a cab and use the stroller as a high chair.



March 26
The end of my breastfeeding days. Nursing Tory for seven months really did a number on me emotionally, and this is one strong feeling I'll never forget as a mother. I'm not sure why I felt like such a failure when I was no longer able to continue feeding my child this way, but it consumed MONTHS of my every waking thought leading up to the day I stopped, and provided a gigantic feeling of relief when the pressure was all over. I'll absolutely breastfeed my second child if I'm given the opportunity, but next time I'll go easier on myself if things don't work just as I planned. The hard lesson learned: formula is not the devil.

April 5
I gambled and lost when I decided to try bangs as a new hairstyle. Luckily it didn't take long before they grew back into my old short bob hair-do.


May 14
My first Mother's Day! I'll never forget our relaxing weekend at the cabin when Andi and his family showered me with gifts and quality time together. It sounds crazy when I think about how much time it took to get to this point, but at nearly nine months of age and on my first Mother's Day, I was able to relax and ENJOY being a mom. All the daily baby rituals of eating, napping, etc. were second nature and I was loving every minute of our time together.


May 31
My sister married her longtime boyfriend Memorial Day weekend 2012, and I welcomed a new brother-in-law to the family, in addition to two nephews. Andi and I drove to Nebraska with Tory in what was probably one of the only times we'll ever commit ourselves to such torture. Fourteen hours in the car with a small child is not fun.



June 7
My first overnight away from Tory for a work trip to Chicago. A big milestone for any mom, and we survived!

June 23
We shared some fun weekends at our Turtle Lake, WI cabin this summer, but strawberry picking at a local farm is one I'll never forget. This was one of those pinch-me-I'm-dreaming days I'd always imagined when having a family. I think strawberry picking at the lake will be annual tradition.


July 31
Andi and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary in 2012 with a getaway trip to Vail, Colorado. It was the first time we'd been away, just the two of us, since we became parents and the trip was worth every minute. More today than ever am I reminded just how lucky I am to be married to this man.


August 2
My second niece, Neeley, was born on this day. She's as sweet as babies come - mind natured, cuddly and adorable. I wasn't able to be there on her birth day and I think it'll be one of my biggest life regrets. She is truly a sweetheart.



August 30
Our little Tory Bean turned one! It's hard to believe an entire year has passed since bringing her into the world. Our life is forever changed, and so much for the better. We celebrated Tory's birthday with two family birthday parties. Double the cake; double the fun. I'm convinced Labor Day Weekend is the most perfect time of the year to have a birthday.

September 9
I'll always remember fall 2012 as the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to work / life balance. It was the busiest time of year at my job, plus Andi was putting in crazy hours and the responsibility of being a good mother, wife and employee were out of hand. I wanted more for myself than to be tired and stressed while my little girl grew up before my eyes. Andi and I decided as soon as the stars aligned financially, I'd quit my job to become a stay-at-home-mom.

October 21
My friend Val and I drove to Omaha with our two little girls to host a baby shower for my childhood friend Ashley and her little boy (Easton). Anytime I get back to Nebraska to see my old friends and family is a special memory, and making memories with Val along the way was an adventure.

October 31
Our little lion went trick-or-treating for the very first time this year. She made it to three houses in the neighborhood before we packed up and drove to Grandma Marion's to round out our Halloween night.


November 8
I flew solo to New Orleans this November to attend The Blathering blogging get together. It was a scary thing to board a plane to meet up with 60 strangers, but I came back with some really fantastic friendships.

November 20
My last day as a career women. Hello stay-at-home-mom gig.

December 25
We started new Christmas traditions at our house this year. Santa Claus visited for the very first time, and we hosted Christmas at our house. Tory was especially fun throughout the holiday season, and I'm excited for her to understand and be more engaged next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment