Monday, December 31, 2012

The End of 2012 Can Suck It

Seriously, Universe? Throw me a bone. The last week has been the worst. Andi left for an 8 day work trip the afternoon of Christmas Day, Tory hasn't slept for longer than 30 minutes at a time since he's been gone (no lie) and now we're both battling colds. To top it off, Tory caught pink eye so we spent much of our afternoon at Urgent Care being seen by basically the only doctor working in the Twin Cities on New Year's Eve Day. Bah humbug and all that jazz. I don't mind Andi traveling for work but the sickness, no sleep, no time to myself and general fussiness of my toddler are driving me to drink. (Which I would do if my throat didn't hurt to swallow).

Tonight I ran to Wal-greens to pick up Tory's antibiotic and I noticed the end cap of New Year's Eve party favors wiped clean. "Huh, it's New Year's," I thought to myself. Never have I felt more out of the loop. I will not be ringing in the New Year at some fancy party tonight, nor do I plan to watch the ball drop at Midnight. My husband is in the desert somewhere in California and I'm at home with a sick little kiddo and a box of Kleenex tucked under my arm. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes neither one of us is awake at 12:01am to welcome in 2013.

Perhaps January 1 will usher in healthier bodies for Tory and I and we'll be able to coast through the last few days until Andi returns home. I'm looking forward to nuzzling my nose in the crook of his neck, having his arms wrapped around me, and feeling like this horribly long week is in the past. The downside of a husband who travels for work is when solo parenting gets hard, it gets really hard. I'm tired. She's tired. I'm sick. She's sick. I need a break and there's finally some relief on the horizon. Here's hoping 2013 brings it.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry your year had to end like this. Makes me feel silly for whining about having to work when I, at least, had a husband at home and a sleeping child. Here's wishing you more rest and health for all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry girl! Sounds miserable but can only get better from here right...or at least you have 365 days to make it better! Hoping Andi is home soon for you! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, sounds rough :(

    Hopefully it eases up very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me how you really feel? Just kidding. I had a friend that would always say that when I would go on a whiiining spree and it was funny. I hope it gets better for you Heather!!!! It will soon I promise!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boo! That sounds completely and totally miserable. Sorry, lady. Hope it's gotten better for you since you posted this and that you both are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete