Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Advent Calendar: Day 5

Tory and I made homemade Chex Mix today on our fifth day of the Christmas advent calendar. Nothing feels like the holiday season more than the aroma of homemade Chex Mix cooling on my counter top.


Which is silly I guess, because the ingredients are available all year round. I could make it a million times throughout the year, but I never do. It's a Christmastime tradition I reserve for December when I make big batches of the salty snack and stuff myself to the brim. It's my absolute favorite, more than any other holiday treat.

The tradition dates back to my childhood when my mom would make heaps of homemade Chex Mix. My sister and I were so crazed over it, my mom would hide Tupperware containers of the good stuff all over the house so ensure it'd last throughout the month.

The original Chex Mix recipe calls for pretzels, mixed nuts and bagel chips but I've crafted my own version over the years. I'm not a big fan of any of those ingredients, so I up the ratio of Chex and use Cheez Its, Cheerios and regular peanuts.

Tory helped by pouring the mixture of cereal into the bowl. She lost interest halfway through, and I ended up finishing it on my own. Good thing it's a low-key recipe.


To ensure I won't eat it all myself, I plan to package some of the Chex Mix in cello bags and give it away to the neighbors, the mailman and garbageman, along with cookies collected at Sunday's Cookie Swap. That activity on our advent calendar can't come soon enough ... I can barely resist the Chex Mix goodness calling me from my kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I have NEVER been a Chex mix fan at all! I actually kind of wondered who ate the stuff, haha. But, I LOVE that you have several tupperware containers full of cookies on your counter. We are baking this weekend and I can't wait to stuff myself with all the different kinds of cookies available :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It too is my favorite treat! Funny enough I substitute the same ingredients...great minds think alike!!

    ReplyDelete