Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas Advent Calendar: Day 6

For today's Christmas advent calendar activity, Tory and I took part in a holiday tradition on Andi's side of the family: we made lefse.

Lefse is a traditional Scandinavian recipe made simply of potatoes and flour. The actual technique of making it is much more complicated than the ingredients would suggest and you need lots of special tools to prepare it. Andi's mom, Janie, learned to make lefse from her grandma when she was a little girl. Andi's sister, Lindsay, has been making lefse since she was two years old and today was Tory and I's first time making it, too. This recipe and the tradition of making lefse around the holidays has been in the family for generations.

Janie and Lindsay ready to make lefse

Janie gave us a cheating head-start in our lefse making today by preparing the dough ahead of time. Combining the potato and flour mixture sounds like the messy part, so I was glad to forgo participation in that step. When Tory and I arrived today, Janie presented Tory with her very own lefse stick - with her name and the year printed on it to signify her very first time making lefse - and an adorable Santa apron she'd made. Of course, Tory couldn't actually help prepare the lefse so Grandpa Jim kept Tory entertained in the living room while Lindsay, Janie, Andi's Aunt Carla and I got to work.

Tory and Grandma Janie in their Christmas aprons

The first step is to roll the lefse dough onto a floury surface, using a rolling pin. When the lefse dough is very flat and round, take the lefse stick and gently slide it underneath the dough to pick it up and lay it flatly on the lefse griddle.

Aunt Carla and Lindsay rolling out lefse dough

Lindsay, Grandma Janie and Tory making lefse on the griddle

Use the lefse stick to pop any air bubbles that arise while the lefse is cooking. (It's a good way to take out some frustration - SMACK)! Flip the dough over half way using the same technique with the lefse stick, then remove the lefse and place it between a piece of cloth to cool.


Most people eat lefse with butter and sugar spread on top. I can't wait to have mine for breakfast tomorrow morning - YUM!

I'm so thankful for Andi's amazing family who share their holiday traditions with me. We had a ball making lefse today. Can't wait until next year!

1 comment:

  1. So fun, I love lefse, but I have never made it. My grandma used to make it all the time when I was little and I would love to learn how, so jealous that you have this fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete