Thursday, December 27, 2012

Minnesota Christmas 2012

Andi, Tory and I spent the Christmas holiday with his family this year. We alternate celebrating in either Minnesota and Nebraska which keeps it fair for everyone.

When we arrived home from Nebraska on Sunday afternoon, my mother-in-law Janie came over to watch Tory for a few hours so Andi and I could run to the grocery store and pick up last-minute groceries for Christmas Day. This is the first year we hosted the celebration at our house which was very exciting! We ended up shopping for groceries at Target and as nutso as the store was in the days before Christmas, I was completely relaxed and in my happy place having a few much-needed hours away from Tory. I love my little girl to pieces, but the constant whining and attention-requiring during our trip to Nebraska had me on my last nerve.

I spent most of Monday (Christmas Eve) readying my house for company. Having been gone for a week left piles of laundry, gifts to put away and a general need for cleaning. I used every minute of naptime to power clean our house from top to bottom. Andi's sister, Lindsay, came over in the afternoon and played with Tory which was awesome in helping me pull everything together.

Monday evening, Andi, Tory, Janie, Jim, Lindsay and I attended Christmas Eve service at Andi's family church. I was nervous about taking Tory to another church service after her Tasmanian devil behavior at Brookie's Christmas program, but she was very well behaved. Janie and Andi took turns walking around with her when she became a little stir-crazy and I was able to participate in the entire church service - a Christmas miracle!

Tory in her 2012 Christmas dress

After church, we spent the evening at Andi's Grandma Marion's house for a big celebration. His side of the family is quite large and growing more every year, so every inch of the house was bustling with Christmas cheer. Tory was such a good little girl all evening and played with Andi's cousins Kiera and Mia. There were a few times Andi and I both looked at each other and asked "where's Tory?" because she was being so well-behaved playing in the other room with the kids. It was fantastic.

I love this out-take photo of our family taken Christmas Eve
Andi's 2nd cousins: Kiera, Mia, Ellie and Kylie (top left)
Grandma and Grandpa with Tory, who doesn't always want to have her picture taken (bottom left)
Andi's cousins Shelly and Laura (right)
We left Grandma Marion's house around 9:30pm in the sweet spot moment -- hours after Tory's regular bedtime but minutes before she completely melted down. Tory was asleep in the car before we even pulled away for our drive home. Andi and I set out his camera equipment and finished preparing some breakfast items for Christmas morning before calling it a night ourselves. Santa was due at our house any minute.

Santa came! Santa came!

Santa gave Tory a PBK Anywhere Chair, Radio Flyer wagon, personalized backpack, farm puzzle, Play-Doh, school bus, a talking remote control and magnetic letters. Andi and I thought she's be excited over her chair but surprisingly the puzzle was her favorite toy of the morning. Well, she had fun being towed around the house in her wagon by Daddy, too.


Andi's parents and sister arrived mid-morning for our family Christmas celebration. Janie, Jim and Lindsay were so gracious in allowing us to host Christmas this year. Since it was Tory's first visit from Santa and Andi had to leave town the afternoon of Christmas for work, I really wanted to spend our time at home. I kept the menu simple for breakfast (my friend Julie's delicious egg bake recipe, croissants and a cheese plate) so we wouldn't be stressing over food; we could just enjoy each other's company. We opened gifts and played with all Tory's new toys. Later in the day, Janie made a tasty baked potato soup and tomato bisque and Lindsay made a Brussels sprouts salad for lunch. It was the perfect day (minus the part where Andi had to leave for the airport). Thankfully, Janie, Jim and Lindsay stayed until 6:30pm so Tory and I weren't alone on Christmas. I really have the best second family.
Tory opening her Christmas stocking from Santa (top left)
Grandma Janie and Grandpa Jim with Tory opening a Christmas present (bottom left)
My Christmas tablescape (right)
Once again, we received the most thoughtful Christmas gifts from our family. Andi gave me a hard-cover book containing every blog post I've written about Tory to date. It is so special - I love it! Andi's big gift from me was a hand-carved sign for the cabin that says our last name. Tory received too many gifts to mention including a hand-sewn personalized library bag and shopping cart from Lindsay, a toy vacuum and tricycle from Grandma and Grandpa and more adorable clothes.

My blog book of Tory
Another Christmas has come and gone. I like to think I'm always aware of just how lucky I am to have loving and healthy family and friends around me. I try to thank God for my blessings and tell those people how much they mean to me throughout the year. This time of year though - the holidays - add an extra shimmer of wonderful to everything. A fabulous Merry Christmas we had.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift from Andi! So thoughtful! It looks like you guys had a wonderful Christmas. Tory is as pretty as ever in her Christmas dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog book! Ben made me one of Annie's first year weekly and monthly posts - it's HUGE and I love it so much. He's making one for Luke too and it's on track to be even bigger because of the insane amount of photos I take now with a much better iPhone. Also love your family Christmas outtake - hilarious!

    ReplyDelete