Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas in Nebraska 2012

Another Christmas has come and gone. Today, I took down the tree and packed away the decorations. Usually I'm one to keep them up through January to extend the holiday cheer as long as possible, but this year I'm ready for things to get back to normal. We had a great holiday and now I'm simply exhausted.

Tory and I spent the week before Christmas in Nebraska. Our flight there was an easy one; Tory was such an angel on the plane ride but traveling solo with her is becoming a logistical nightmare. I wore Tory in the Baby Bjorn on my front side (even though she's really too big to be carried in there anymore), had the car seat strapped to my back and pulled one giant suitcase full of a week's worth of clothes for her and I and a few Christmas gifts stuffed inside. I think I was the laughing stock of the airport. People literally stopped and stared.  

My childhood best friend, Ashley, has a newborn baby boy so I wanted to take the opportunity to see them while I was in the area. Tory and I flew into Omaha on Monday and Ashley and Baby Easton picked us up at the airport. When Tory was born, Ashley visited us in the Twin Cities for a weekend and helped cook and care for us. I'm not sure I was as helpful in returning the favor, but I tried my best. Managing both Tory and Easton for short intervals while Ashley took a little time for herself definitely gave me a taste of what life would be like with two kids under two. Whoo boy! Essentially, I learned I'm not ready for it. Tory is so demanding of all my attention. Her behavior during our time in Nebraska was especially exhausting because she was out of her comfort zone for an entire seven days. 

I think it's been 15 years since Ashley and I had the chance to just hang out with no agenda. We relaxed in her living room (as much as two women do with a toddler and newborn in the mix), watched reality television and talked about anything and everything. On Tuesday, Katie, my longtime friend from college, stopped by Ashley's house with her little boy Cruz. It's been years since I've seen Katie so I really enjoyed visiting with her as well. Cruz and Tory are 2.5 months apart in age and they had the best time playing together. It's these moments which make me miss living back home!

Tory (15 months) and Cruz (13 months)
On Wednesday, my parents picked Tory and I up in Omaha and drove us back to my hometown for our family Christmas celebration. Tory and I spent the day hanging around my parent's house. This trip really threw Tory for a loop and she was so not herself. Every nap time/bedtime involved a full-on 60+ minute kicking and screaming fit. Of course, sleep was essential to her overall well-being so the less restful winks Tory got, the more of a wreck she was. I think it was the first time Tory fully realized she was in a new place and an unfamiliar bed, coupled with a mad case of separation anxiety. She wanted to be held every second of every day we were visiting. There wasn't anything I could do alone - take a shower, use the bathroom, sleep, eat, etc. - and Tory wouldn't allow any consoling by my parents who would've gladly assisted. There were a few glorious times where Tory agreed to play with my niece Brooke. Only a few minutes of spare time is exactly why I only took one photo until my photographer husband arrived to save the day.

Brooke (5 years) and Tory (15 months)
Brookie's Christmas program was scheduled for Wednesday night, but a big ice and snowstorm blew through town and caused the event to be rescheduled for Thursday. I was so excited to be in town and able to attend this year. Brooke looked so adorable in her Christmas dress, signing carols with her classmates. Unfortunately, Tory acted like a Tasmanian devil through the entire service. More of her refusing to be held by anyone but me, lots of throwing herself back on my lap and refusing to sit down, compounded by the fact that church was completely packed with people and nothing in my bag of tricks was entertaining her. I was the lady with the kid who throws their bottle of milk at the people sitting in the pew behind us. So embarrassing!

Brookie at her church Christmas program
Andi arrived in from the airport Thursday night and I was so happy to have him there. I missed him, of course, and I was also glad to have someone to tag-team care for Tory. She just wasn't herself during our entire visit to Nebraska and by the end of the week, my patience were growing thin. Friday, my parents took Andi, Tory, my brother Adam, and I out to lunch and we spent the rest of the day hanging around at home. 

Saturday was my immediate family's Christmas celebration. My mom made a big holiday dinner of turkey, stuffing, mashed and sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, homemade pumpkin pie and German chocolate cake before we opened boatloads of presents all afternoon. Tory was the calm and well-behaved one during our afternoon of opening gifts. It was Brookie who was over-tired and in need of a few reminders that Santa was still watching to see if she was being a good girl.

Tory (15 months) opening her stocking from Santa (left)
Brooke (5.5 years) with her new PBK backpack (top right)
Neeley (4 months) by the Christmas tree (bottom right)
All the grandkids together
(Caleb, Neeley, Tanner, Tory and Brooke)

Tory received tons of toys and cute outfits from my parents, sister, and extended family, in addition to an adorable personalized pillowcase, Christmas tree ornament, personalized rag doll and a table and chairs for her playroom. I received personalized wine glasses (which I've already put to very good use), silicone cupcake liners, a card table and chairs, a gift card to Victoria's Secret and Target, kitchen knives, a cookie press and a holiday cook book. The amount of presents that filled the living room was almost obnoxious, but it also feels so great to see someone's face light up as they open a special gift chosen just for them. We are truly so fortunate.


Andi, Tory and I left for home Sunday morning and spent Christmas Eve / Day with his family in the Twin Cities. We had a great time in Nebraska celebrating with my family, albeit a little tired from the commotion of travel and sleepless nights. I hope my new stay-at-home-mom gig provides me the opportunity to travel home to Nebraska more often to see my family and friends in 2013. I love them all so much.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a blast (other than being tired of course, haha) : ) Wish we could have made it down to see everyone!! I love seeing the photos of all the grandkids together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Packed up our tree yesterday - really glad to have the space in our living room back!!

    Sorry the trip was kind of stressful but glad you got to spend the holidays with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you all had a great Christmas! Tory is such a sweetheart and I loved getting her & Cruz together to play! Just wish we could do it more often.

    ReplyDelete