Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Advent Calendar: Days 15 & 16

Tory and I are packed and ready to travel to Nebraska tomorrow for Christmas celebrating with my family and friends (Andi will join us later). Christmas is finally here for us! Wahoo!

I purposefully planned all our baking and crafting advent calendar activities at the beginning of the month, knowing I'd be traveling the week before Christmas. Setting the days up that way has made the first week of December fun! and exciting! and holiday spirity! This past few days were simpler and less   jolly.

Andi's grandma passed away on Tuesday and that probably had something to do with it, too. The funeral was Saturday and we spent much of the day with family. Our advent calendar activity called for a picnic under the Christmas tree, but there wasn't really time. After we put Tory to bed, Andi and I popped some popcorn, laid out a blanket and talked under the glow of the tree. It wasn't quite the picnic I'd envisioned with Tory involved, but it was still a special moment between us.


Day 16 was "play in the snow" which we'd moved up to last weekend when Minnesota weather dumped a foot of powdery white stuff outside our window. Rain and above-freezing temperatures this past week left us with little snow on the ground, so I'm glad with took advantage of playing in the snow when we had the chance.

Today, I let Tory open an advent calendar Christmas present instead, which she was more than happy to do. (Good thing I bought and wrapped an extra gift)! Tory received a new pair of slippers that fit her perfectly. I've been looking for a good pair of slippers for her - ones that conform to her feet a bit because she still has trouble walking in some shoes - and found the perfect pair at Old Navy a few months ago. She loves them and wore them around the house all afternoon.


Tory was so excited about opening an advent calendar present, she marched right back to the Christmas tree and found another gift to open. Until today, she hasn't shown much interest in the Christmas tree or the presents underneath it so I had to laugh a little at her enthusiasm. I did have one more advent calendar gift under the tree (for Day 19) but I caved and let her open it today. How can I say no to that little face? She slowly ripped off one little piece at a time and handed each one to Andi. It was too cute. Tory opened a Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer book and promptly threw it down on the ground. Apparently, she's more interested in the opening of the present and less excited about the actual gift.

Tory's been talking/babbling up a storm the last few days and today was the first time I'd heard her say "this!" She pointed to anything she wanted (her cup for a drink, the candy bowl, her shoes, etc.) and said "This! This!" Andi had been secretly sneaking her M&M's and she knows right where the candy bowl sits on the counter. Several times a day, she walks right over to the exact spot, points and says "this!" Little stinker.

Tonight I was putting away some laundry and Tory saw one of her presents on top of Andi's dresser. It's a Pottery Barn Anytime Chair and it's been sitting up there for weeks, but she's never noticed it until tonight. All of a sudden, Tory got really excited and pointed to the chair saying "this! this!" She wanted that chair down so badly and just couldn't understand why I led her out of the room to find another distraction. It took all my willpower not to let her play with it tonight because I know she'll love it, but I have to wait a few more days until Christmas morning. It's so tough! It's also kind of awesome how we can leave Santa presents out in the open and Tory doesn't know the difference. I think this is the last year we'll probably be able to do that.

Tomorrow begins the celebration of Christmas and I'm so excited I can barely stand it. Bring on the family, friends, cookies and presents.

2 comments:

  1. Have fun in Nebraska! I love that your Christmas celebration is starting already... still have four more days of work to get through here before I can truly get into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with your family!

    I wanted to get Charley an anywhere chair too, but waited too long to get it personalized in time. Poo! I think we'll get it for her for her housewarming present when we move. :) Can't wait to see which one you got Tory!

    ReplyDelete