Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Advent Calendar: Day 4

For our Christmas advent calendar activity today, Tory and I made cinnamon applesauce ornaments.


My little baker helped stir the applesauce in a bowl before I mixed in the cinnamon. In between taking big fistful bites, that is.

I remember making these ornaments with my mom and sister when I was a little girl. It was one of my favorite things to do at the holidays back then, and one of the memories I most look forward to creating with Tory. 


I couldn't quite remember how to make these, so I used this recipe I found online. I guess it's not rocket science, simply mix applesauce and cinnamon together, but I downsized the recipe to one cup of applesauce to limit the amount of ornaments we made. Quickly I figured out an easy trick to keeping the ornaments' shape. I used a spatula to wipe away the excess applesauce mixture from the cookie cutter and baked them in a 200 degree oven for two hours. 


Before I baked the ornaments, I poked a hole in the top so we can use them as tie-ons to our Christmas presents. Or maybe we'll hang them in the Christmas tree. Either way, I had a great day in the kitchen with my baby girl. 


4 comments:

  1. Those are cute! I saw those on your list and googled the recipe but saw it called for 3 c. of cinnamon. I couldn't fathom that much cinnamon, but I didn't even think of cutting the recipe down... great idea! I think I'll add these to our list for the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi- I did one cup of cinnamon applesauce (because that's what we had in the fridge) and one 2oz. container of cinnamon. The ornaments turned out fine and still smell like cinnamon, too. My recipe made 15 ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually one of the few advent activities I want to do this year. I think Adriana will love it (Lucy will just be pissed she can't eat it, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I THOUGHT ABOUT MAKING THESE WITH BROOKE THIS YEAR...BUT SINCE SHE ALREADY SAID OUR CHRISTMAS TREE LOOKS "TRAILER" I GUESS I SHOULDN'T JUNK IT UP ANYMORE IN HER EYES! HAHA...WHAT A STINKER. ILL HAVE TO LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU AND TORY... MAYBE NEXT YEAR ;)

    ReplyDelete