Sunday, December 30, 2012

Letters To Tory: 16 Months

Tory,

Happy 16 months! The last few weeks have been a whirlwind with Christmas festivities, a week-long trip to Nebraska and many changes in your physical and emotional development. We've been so busy, I didn't even take the time to jot down little milestones throughout the month so I hope my memory serves me well.

Overall my little bean, you bring so much joy to our lives. When you're happy, you fill an entire room with light. You're energetic, curious, funny and loving. This month, we're also seeing another side of you - a much less desirable side - as you begin to discover your individuality. Toddler tantrums are quite normal around our house these days and unfortunately, I think the meltdowns are here to stay. We've taken to nicknaming you "Tasmanian Devil" (because you can be completely uncontrollable in public places), "Blade" (if there's a sharp object in the vicinity, you'll find it) and "Gremlin" (daddy's favorite moniker due to your generally feisty attitude). You are a very strong-willed little girl (I just can't understand where you inherited that trait, *wink wink*) and become frustrated very easily when something doesn't go your way. All the experts say this behavior is right on target with the average development of a toddler your age and like all stages, I know this will also pass.


This month, you're also experiencing a mad case of separation anxiety. Most days you cling to me for dear life and while I love you to pieces, little girl, it would be a little easier on me if you weren't attached to my hip 24/7. Your temper tantrums often occur when I'm not giving you 100% of my attention. This is also part of your development and I know it'll get better as your mature, so in the meantime I try to be present in the moment and give you the attention you crave when you need it most.


Fortunately, your communicative skills have blossomed this month allowing you to better express your wants and needs. You're saying the following words: mama, dada, hi, bye, uh-oh, up, "here it is" (when you discover something) and "ho ho ho" (for Santa Claus). Almost all of these words were learned in the last few weeks. You smile when we say "cheese" (when taking your photograph) and flash us the same goofy grin when I ask you to say "thank you."


You currently weigh 19 pounds and measure 29 inches tall. Everyone comments on what a little peanut you are, especially when they see how fast you run and climb. It hardly seems like a little girl your size should be able to do so much! You're now moving into size 18 month clothes, mostly for the length in the arms and legs. You're also wearing size 4 shoes which catapults you into toddler shoes - wahoo! For Christmas, I bought you some pink boots (because every Minnesota girl needs a good pair of boots!) and they are so adorable. It makes me smile every time I see you wearing them. This month, your hair has really started to grow. I think that every month and then I look back at photos and you seem so bald compared to the present moment, but this time it's true! You're starting to wear bows and clips in your hair (hair pretties, we call them) and we even have to brush your unruly hair in the mornings.


You have the warmest heart, Tory Bean, and love all kids. Anytime you see another child - whether it's a friend or someone you're meeting for the first time - you give them a great big hug. You're generous with your toys and happy to play along with any kid who will have you. Your nurturing side is evident by your love for baby dolls. This Christmas, you received a baby highchair, cradle, baby carrier and shopping cart and are often tending to your babies needs in pretend play.


You're very good at maneuvering a fork and spoon, and have even graduated to using a plate. Your favorite foods are macaroni and cheese, string cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt (see a dairy theme emerging?) but you have a slight dairy intolerance so I have to limit how much you consume daily. You still have a difficult time chewing complex textures like meat and grapes and show little interest in vegetables. Perhaps this is because you only have 11 teeth thus far. Teething is slow going for you and it seems like you're always working to pop another one through your gums, but every time I check your mouth there's only 11 teeth in there. One thing you have no trouble consuming is sweets. During the holidays, I had a bowl of M&Ms on the counter and you became quite obsessed with them. Often you'd walk up to the counter top and point saying, "uh! uh!" until we'd give you a M&M (Daddy) or divert your attention elsewhere (Mommy).


In celebration of the Christmas holiday, I created a list of advent calendar activities for you and I. Each day this month, we baked, crafted and spent quality time together as a family in honor of the holidays. Though you're too young to remember, I cherish the traditions we started and look forward to many more holidays with you.

Another month older and growing by leaps and bounds. Life with you, Tory, is always interesting and oh, so wonderful. Keep on being you.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Happy 16 months, Tory Girl!!! Such a cutie pie and so dang smart! You're raising such a great girl, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so cute! I agree that she's such a peanut, but moves so quick! Just love her little smile!

    ReplyDelete