Monday, January 2, 2012

Annual Report

Oh how a year seems like such a long block of time and yet, flies by in an instant. If I don't write down our favorite memories of 2011, they'll get lost in the past and I'll lose them forever. So here's our 2011 highlights (and here's 2009 and 2010 if you're interested):

January 2 - Andi and I told my immediate family we were expecting a baby in late December 2010 while we celebrated our Nebraska Christmas. Andi and I decided to tell his parents on our return home, January 2, over dinner at their house. We wrapped up a jar of Prego spaghetti sauce and gave it to them with a note saying "Baby is due August 22, 2011." They were shocked and so excited!

February 11 - Andi and I traveled to Southern California to celebrate my 30th birthday. I'd been to California a bunch of times, but never to San Diego. We stayed in Huntington Beach the first night and Andi showed me where he used to live. Then we spend two days in San Diego, sunning ourselves, eating yummy food and relaxing together. It was the perfect birthday.

March 15 - Andi and I traveled to Walker, Minnesota for a winter getaway. Originally we'd planned to take a week-long trip to Nicaragua but opted against traveling out of the country because I was 17 weeks pregnant. (I remember thinking I was SO pregnant then ... oh how I wish I could've seen my future 41-week pregnant self and told her to Go! Go! Go on an exotic vacation while you have the chance!). Anyway, snowy cold Minnesota wasn't a tropical adventure but Andi and I had a nice time hanging out together, just the two of us.

April 12 - Andi and I learned we'd welcome a baby GIRL to our family in August!

May 14 - My first baby shower hosted by my friends Ashley and Val. Having a party to celebrate our baby girl's upcoming birth really made things REAL and so exciting.

May 31 - Cabin time! For the second summer, Andi and I rented a cabin with friends for the summer. Just an hour and a half away, we hopped in the car many, many weekends this summer for fun with friends. On May 1st last year, it snowed during our first weekend there and by Memorial Day Weekend, we were boating on the lake. Gotta love the beginning of summer!

June 17 - Andi and I headed to Nebraska for my cousin Jes' wedding. It was one of my favorite memories of the year; all of our family from across the country were back in town together and it was so awesome to spend a weekend together. I vow to organize another one this summer (not a wedding, just a get together!).

June 26 - Andi's family hosted a couple's baby shower for us. It was fun and something different to have the boys involved in the celebration!

July 4 - We spent Fourth of July 2011 at our Wisconsin cabin with friends. While I couldn't drink (I was 33 weeks pregnant!), I enjoyed one of the last relaxing weekends I'll have in a long time. We played on the water, hosted a White Trash Party, sat by the bonfire and watched our own gigantic fireworks display.

July 15 - I bought my very first house! Andi and I closed on our new "suburb" house on July 15, just 5 weeks before our baby's due date. YIKES!

July 17 - My cousin Jen and aunt Cheri hosted a baby shower for my Nebraska family and friends. It was our last big party before welcoming baby Tory to the world!

July 31 - Andi and I celebrated two years of marriage. Second anniversary is the year of "cotton" and Andi gifted me these sweet Christmas stockings for our new growing family. Best. Gift. Ever.

August 30 - Tory's birthday. One of the best days of my life.

September ... is a blur. Life with a new baby. Andi floating down the Mississippi River on a barge for work the first three weeks of Tory's life. 'Nuff said.

October 1 - Trip to San Diego for Derrick and Ellie's wedding and Tory's first plane ride.

October 31 - Tory's first Halloween. She was a chili pepper!

November 10 - Tory's baptism in Nebraska.

November 17 - Our first family vacation, just the three of us. We spend 5 days in the Florida Keys.

December 6 - I returned to work part-time after spending 14 wonderful weeks at home with Tory. It's been a challenge adjusting to our new normal, but it's getting easier each week. Tory now spends Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays with our in-home nanny.

December 18 & 25 - Tory's first Christmas! (Minnesota and Nebraska)

2011 was an awesome year for us! So many new beginnings for our little family. I'm excited to see what 2012 has in store!

1 comment:

  1. Its great to read how your year has shaped up and I love seeing pics of Tory...she is gorgeous!! PS I'm going to steal a couple of these year end ideas from you :)

    ReplyDelete