Monday, January 9, 2012

Down and Out

I'm usually all about my four day weekends with Tory, but for some reason I've just been "off" the last few days. It's the first time since I became a mom I just wanted to curl up in bed and veg out on TV. I suspect it's because I caught a nasty cold this week so naturally the last thing I feel like doing is snuggling all over Tory. In fact, I'm trying to do the opposite by NOT kissing her head a million times and letting her suck on my hands which she loves to do right now. My head feels like it's full of seventy-million pounds of goo and I can't take anything for it since I'm nursing (unless one of you knows something I don't know in which case, please share)!

Andi's been putting in some crazy long hours the last few weeks for another big work project. I know I shouldn't be so whoa-is-me about him working all the time. He is, after all, working to provide for our family and it's a GOOD THING his business is thriving so well. But it gets old reminding myself that when he leaves every morning before Tory and I are awake, comes home every night after we're in bed and works weekends too. I suppose I should shut it since he's the one who's ACTUALLY WORKING but sometimes I feel frustrated and this is my place to brain dump, so there. It's just ... we miss him.

Tory wasn't feeling too hot this weekend either. Baby girl got 4 shots at her 4 month check-up on Friday. Poor thing has wanted to snuggle up all weekend and unfortunately, that's the last thing I want to do - infest her with my cold.

Aside from the shots, Tory is the picture of health. She now weighs 13lbs (33 percentile) and 24 inches long. She only grew 1/2 inch according to the doctor's office but the doctor wasn't worried. He said "babies are wiggly and it's hard to get a good reading sometimes." I know she's grown more than that based on the ways her clothes fit (some 3-6 months clothes are already too short; others are fine) so I think they may have measured incorrectly at her 2 month check-up.

The doctor recommended we start Tory on some sort of vitamin supplement that includes fluoride, or start giving her some tap water which includes fluoride. Anyone else heard of this? My mom was excited we got the OK to give Tory water now as she thinks I'm a meanie parent for depriving her of water this long anyway. I know a little water won't hurt her, but I just thought it was odd. I haven't read or seen that anywhere else. Anyway, we'll give her a little and see what she thinks.

Baby's up and I'm off to feed her ....

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you're feeling sick, hope you're on the mend soon! I always say having a cold while pregnant/nursing is the WORST because you just have to ride it out and I hate that! I want drugs to feel better stat!

    Regarding the fluoride, that's very odd. Usually the only thing breastfed babies are lacking is Vitamin D - so we always did the vitamin D drops... although that's somewhat controversial too and I think I remember reading that the vitamin D from mom doesn't taper off until about 4 months of so. But, fluoride? What the heck for? Developing teeth? Most of the initial teeth development was already done in utero and there is no evidence suggesting that giving fluoride supplements will help the developing teeth. If anything, as long as you're drinking fluoridated water and cooking with fluoridated water, then I would worry more about fluorosis (which is too much fluoride and leads to white spots on the teeth). I'd be curious why the ped. said they needed fluoride drops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've only ever heard of Vitamin D drops too - never fluoride. We didn't even do the vitamin D drops either based on research I did about it - just didn't seem necessary.

    I hope you're feeling better!! At least you are probably providing Tory with lots of antibodies against colds since your body is producing a lot of them right now. I have a cold too and it just totally sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my doctor telling me that when most of their teeth are in to just give him some tap water (or fluoride supplement I suppose). We had to supplement with formula once in awhile so in my mind that was enough. I really dont see the need for water at Tory's age?? I barely give it to my son now and hes 18 months.
    Our 18 month check up is tomorrow though and I will be asking the same question since we no longer use formula and I forgot to ask at his 15 month appt.
    I would just stick with the Vitamin D (especially during winter since there's not alot of sun exposure)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get to feeling better soon : ) It is tough being sick while being home with a little one!!

    We never did any fluoride and only did Vitamin D when we we could get Lauren to keep it in her mouth - since she never really took a bottle it was a little harder. When she started using a sippy cup she would drink water from that but we never did anything anything special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your doctor was mixing up fluoride & vitamin D...which seems weird! Haha. Although, I was just asked about fluoride water for Oliver, too, but I assumed that was a solid food thing since he's 6 months. Maybe it's some new public health message?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I thought the fluoride thing was strange too so I appreciate the feedback. I tried to give her a little water yesterday and she spit it right out so I'm not going to push the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE GAVE BROOKE BITS OF WATER IN BETWEEN BOTTLES AND SHE TURNED OUT JUST FINE! (I THINK YOU'LL AGREE) :)
    DR MAC GAVE BROOKE FLUORIDE DROPS WHEN SHE WAS A BABY..BUT I CANT REMEMBER HOW MANY MONTHS OLD SHE WAS...I THINK WE USED TO PUT IT IN HER BABY FOOD SO IT MUST HAVE BEEN WHEN SHE WAS QUITE OLDER...ANYWAYS, FROM THE LOOKS OF TORY THESE DAYS...THAT PRECIOUS LITTLE CHUBBER ISNT LACKING ANYTHING IN MY OPINION..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MOM! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete