Friday, January 27, 2012

First Food

Our little Tory Bean still isn't sleeping through the night and just about everyone has an opinion as to why. It doesn't concern me much as I know she'll eventually get there, but there is a small part of me that crosses my fingers every night and *hopes* tonight's the night she surprises me. 

Two nights ago, Andi suggested we start her on rice cereal believing it'll help her sleep longer. I, on the other hand, thought we should wait until six months at the advice of our doctor. I quickly shut Andi down and let him know we WOULD NOT be going against the doctor's opinion, but later felt guilty about being such a bossypants. Tory's his daughter too, and I should at least give his suggestion some thought. 

Yesterday, I did some online research and decided we'd compromise by starting Tory on cereal at 5 1/2 months. We'd meet half-way because really, what difference would two weeks really make? Later in the day, Andi sent me a text to say he'd be home for dinner at 5:45pm which is SO EARLY for him. That never happens and I started to think it was a sign ... maybe we should give rice cereal a try. 

Tory was game; I suited her up in a bib and set her in the high chair ... 


I mixed up a super runny concoction of rice cereal and breast milk. Andi was camera-ready and I loaded up the first bite on a baby spoon. 


Tory LOVED it! She caught on so quickly and opened her mouth every time she saw the spoon in line of sight. 


I figured Tory would spit most of the cereal out, but she didn't. She eagerly ate every bite we gave her, finishing about half the serving of cereal. What a big girl!



*For the record, Tory was still up at 10pm, 12:30am, 2:30am and 5:00am the night after her first rice cereal feeding. The "it'll help her sleep through the night" advice was a bust in our household ... at least on the first night!

5 comments:

  1. She's so adorable.

    And I had the EXACT same situation over here with starting solids earlier. Anil kept begging because he was sure it would help Oliver sleep through the night, I kept refusing, then I finally gave in and we gave him solids. Have been ever since. He still does not sleep through the night. Haha.

    But Oliver was weirdly far less interested in actual solids than I expected because he was so fascinated with what we are eating. Maybe he just wants to go right to sandwiches and pasta and skip the mushy vegetables? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are so cute! I think we are going to try cereal earlier than our pedi's 6 month recommendation too, just because Charley has been killing her bottles lately and I'm really struggling to keep up. But where am I going to come up with the breast milk to mix it with!? Ahh! It never ends! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Tory...so cute watching her eat solid foods for her first time. We kept getting recommendation that solids would help Cruz sleep through the night, but our pediatrician had told us it was too early...but every time we told people he wasn't sleeping {this was pre-day care} that was what we were told to do and it would save us.

    We opted not to start it yet {he's still so little}, but I'm thankful every day that day care wears him out so he is sleeping better at night...otherwise I'm not sure what I would do having had to go back to work.

    I hope she starts taking to it and gives her mama a break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did the same thing and started Leigha on solids at 4 months praying that it would help her sleep through the night. It had the opposite effect. The night we gave it to her she was up 5-6 times (I about died). We waited a few more weeks and tried it again, and while she seems to get more full with the food, she still does not sleep through the night. I think its more of a habit for her to wake up now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like come on her lips wish it was mine

    ReplyDelete