Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011

I had such a fun time reviewing the last few years of this little quiz. It's crazy how much life (and priorities!) change so quickly. Here's 2011 in review .... (and here's 2009 and 2010):

1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?

Visited San Diego. Bought a house in my name. Gave up booze and caffeine. Had a baby!

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I'm not big on resolutions but I always want to be a better friend and a better Christian.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
ME! Also my cousin Tifanie, friends Marcy, Kim D., KatieLaura, Marcie and Kim O. And lots of bloggy friends, too. I don't know where I'd be without the advice, comradarie and support these ladies provided me through months of pregnancy and motherhood thus far.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope.


5. What countries did you visit?

Surprisingly, I didn't travel out of the country this year. I guess being pregnant eight months of the year and having a newborn the remainder really sent our travel bug into hiding. Andi and I were thisclose to booking a trip to Nicaragua in March and that remains our biggest regret of 2011 (totally should have gone when we had the chance)! We considered taking Tory to Mexico this fall for a little getaway before I returned to work, but haven't worked up the nerve to take her out of the country yet.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn't have in 2011?

For the better part of the year, I would've said caffeine and alcohol. As sad as this sounds, giving up caffeine (and a cocktail if I was in the mood) was one of the suckiest parts of my year.  I really missed Diet Coke and iced coffee. First world problems, I know.

In 2012, I'd also like to visit my friend Melissa in Sioux Falls, SD and my cousin Tara in Philadelphia.

7. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
July 15, 2011 - the day I closed on a house in my name for the first time
August 22, 2011 - Tory's due date .... which came and went with no baby to be heard of
August 30, 2011 - Tory's birthday

8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?

Becoming a mother - an absolute dream come true.

9. What's your biggest failure?
We never joined a bible study this year and it's something I've wanted to do for a few years now. Actually going to the cabin this summer, moving and having a baby this fall really derailed our visits to church, period. I feel like I have a big void inside and I'm committed to changing this in 2012.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major, except for the occasional man cold (which are obviously a Very Big Deal). I sprained my ankle ten days before Tory was born and it not only sent me into a waaaaah I am SO OVER being pregnant! tailspin, but it still bothers me four months later.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new house! Obviously we would've survived with a baby in our tiny duplex, but having a house with more room, an attached garage and without noisy neighbors has made life so much easier with a baby.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Uh, me, I gave birth to another human life!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
People who hurt children. Since becoming a parent, I often find myself overwhelmed with worry for my child. How do I protect her from danger in the world without completely sheltering her from experience?

14. Where did most of your money go?
We paid off bills and my student loans this year. We rented a cabin and bought a boat. Buying a house was a giant expense, obviously, and we've made home improvements like buying new furnishings, converting the fireplace to gas, landscaping and painting. Also (broken record ... ) we had a baby and dang, that was expensive.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I enjoyed each and every month of my pregnancy; watching my body change and adapt to a growing baby inside me. It's truly a miracle.

16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2011?
Crazy Girl by Eli Young Band -- reminds me of Andi's unfaltering love during some of those crazy pregnancy moments when my hormones were wacho-a-doo.

Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift -- when I listen to this song, it reminds me how quickly Tory's growing up before our very eyes. GAH! Never grow up, little girl!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: 
a) happier or sadder? The happiest I've ever been
b) thinner or fatter? I weigh the same, but my body sure looks different these days
c) richer or poorer?
 Richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Everything that's easier to do without a baby -- traveled, QT with the hubs, painted my toenails, cooking, crafts, read magazines, slept, etc.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Worrying. Worrying about every little symptom of pregnancy when I was lucky enough to have such a healthy, thriving baby. Worrying about Andi not loving me or leaving me with a baby to raise on my own (note: wacho pregnancy hormones)

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Andi, Tory and I flew down to Nebraska to celebrate with my family. Lots of laughs, quality time with family and tons of great food.

21. Did you fall in love with 2011?
With my little Tory Bean. It's crazy how much she's completed me.


22. What was your favorite TV program?
How I Met Your Mother, forever and always.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate? All the political bullshit on the news, I guess. It gets so old.

24. What was the best book you read?

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Jason Aldean. Really loving Country music again these days.

26. What did you want and get?
A baby.

27. What did you want and not get?

To have enough money so my husband didn't have to work so hard all the time. More than anything, I miss him and I always wish we could spend more time together.

28. What was your favorite film of 2011?
Bridesmaids. I seriously think that was the only movie I saw all year.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
The Dirty Thirty. Andi and I traveled to San Diego for a long weekend. I loved it! We stayed in Coronado, discovered the best French bistro, sunned ourselves, read books and relaxed. It was perfect.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Caffeine. I seriously missed it all those months.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
Stretchy. Maternity leggings are all the rage, right?


32. What kept you sane?

Blogging. I'm not sure how I coped with life before I vented everything to the Internet.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
None of it. I tune it all out. Drives me nuts.

34. Who did you miss?

My family and friends in Nebraska.

35. Who was the best new person you met?

Kim - a work friend of Andi's who's incredibly witty and an awesome sounding board for all my motherly questions. I'm so happy we've become friends.

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Notice all the little things about life and commit them to memory. The way Tory nuzzles her head into my neck, how the garage door sounds when Andi's on his way in the door, Chloe's toenails pattering on the wood floor down the hallway. It's my life right now and I try to soak it all in. I'm so in love with it all.

37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

They didn't have you where I come from.
Never knew the best was yet to come.
Life began when I saw your face.
And I hear your laugh like a serenade.

How long do you want to be loved?
Is forever enough, is forever enough?

Lullaby by Dixie Chicks

3 comments:

  1. Love this quiz and your answers! PS it's easiest to travel long long distances before baby starts to crawl... otherwise they just want to be on the floor everywhere: plane, airport... ick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your answers, it's so interesting to hear about other people's lives through little surveys like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well dammit. apparently nursing hormones are enough to turn someone into a blubbering fool, too. That has to be it, because otherwise I'm just a big ol' sap. Oh alright, I'm a sap. And I LOVE your list! Did you say you had a baby?

    And PS - So someone gave you "Someday". Can you read it without bawling yet?? Me neither.

    I'm really glad we're friends, too.

    ReplyDelete