Sunday, January 29, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

On the weekends Andi works, I always wish I lived closer to my family. I don't mind spending quiet time at home with Tory but sometimes it'd be nice to pop over to my parent's house for a visit. So on Tuesday when Delta released their Weekly Fare Specials and Lincoln, Nebraska was listed for $79, I jumped at the chance to get home for a few days. Lucky for me, I have no life and the travel requirements to fly in on Saturday and out on Monday worked just fine for me.

Tory and I packed up on Saturday morning and headed to the airport together. It was my first time flying solo with her and it went so smoothly. As always, Tory was an excellent traveler. She loves all the lights and people watching at the airport and was plenty entertained while we were there. I packed one bag and checked it so I didn't have to mess with carrying anything but her through the airport. Easy breezy!
Travel buddies

Coincidentally, this weekend was my great-grandma's 93rd birthday and my family planned a party for her on Saturday afternoon. My mom kept my visit a surprise so when Tory and I walked into her house on Saturday she was shocked! "You came all the way back for my birthday," she exclaimed. Yep Grandma, we did. Just for you. *wink, wink*
Tory and her Great-Great-Grandma
It's been years since we've all been over at my grandma's house together. It reminded me of my childhood so much, except these days we've got a whole new set of little ones running around the house. My cousin Jen, her husband Zach and daughter Lauren were there along with my other cousin Jes and her husband. Ashley and Jason came with their three kids. My 3rd (??) cousin who I haven't seen in years was there with her two little kids plus one of their friends. It was fun to play toys and watch them discover all the weird things that make my grandma's house what it is. (When we were little, we used to call her "Grandma Hosie" for example because her stockings used to hang from pipes in the laundry room downstairs). Or like this super creepy baby doll one of the girl's dug out from a back bedroom. Oh, the memories! 
Little Lauren and creepy baby

Tory loves my sister Ashley and seriously squeals when she sees her. I can't get over this photo - I have another one from four years ago that's nearly an exact replica of this, except it's of my sister and her daughter Brooke when she was a baby. It's crazy how much Tory looks like my side of the family.
Ashley and Tory
After the party, my mom dug out a bunch of old photos and we couldn't believe just how much Tory (and Brooke) look like my mom when she was a baby. The resemblance really is incredible.
My mom Candy (left) and Aunt Cindy (right)

Today was a lazy day around my parent's house. It's kind of awesome to be back home for once with no agenda or place to be. My mom, sister and I played with Tory most of the afternoon. It was really nice for Tory to have some quality time with them. Later in the afternoon, we dressed Brooke and Tory in matching outfits and snapped a photo of the cousins together. They're growing up so quickly.


Tory and I fly home tomorrow afternoon. We're excited to get home and see Daddy but so thankful for the fun, relaxing weekend we had in Nebraska. What a treat to spend a last-minute weekend with those I love the most.

5 comments:

  1. We had an awesome weekend with you and Tory Bean what a great spur of the moment visit. Thank you for spending it with us. We certainly enjoyed it. I hope we gave you a chance to relax abit, wish we could do it more often. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, way to go with flying solo! Very impressive, mama! Second, how cool is that that Tory was able to be with her great-great grandma? All of mine had been dead for 50 years by the time I was born. Very cool for her to see someday, third, she is so so cute. Those cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY LORD!!! HAHAHA..I FORGOT WE CALLED GMA "GRANDMA HOSIE" HAHA...I CANNOT STOP LAUGHING! WE SHOULD HAVE PUT ALL OF THE BABIES AROUND GRANDMA AND HAD (MOST OF) GRANDMA'S GREAT GREAT GRANDKIDS IN A PICTURE WITH HER. OH WELL, NEXT YEAR! HOW FUNNY! I AM SO GLAD WE GOT TO SEE YOU THIS WEEKEND! IT MAKES ME APPRECIATE THE TIME WE HAVE TOGETHER XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with you flying solo with Tory! And you don't look frazzled either which is equally impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved seeing you both : ) It brought back a lot of memories hanging out at grandmas again. Loved seeing all the little ones together.

    ReplyDelete