Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Fourth Anniversary Gifts

Each year, Andi and I attempt to follow the traditional gift guide to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It's definitely more challenging to come up with gift ideas for one another that correspond with the old-school list, but it's also fun to think outside the box and exchange gifts with a theme.

Last year was leather and I was left scrambling for ideas up until the end. Andi gave me a Kindle Fire which I use everyday, but sadly the flask I gave him is still sitting in his nightstand drawer unused. I kept up with the leather-bound daily journal I promised to write in for a few months, and off and on after that, but it was really a flop gift overall. Bummer. I vowed this year - Year Four - would be different, so I've been brainstorming gift ideas to give him for months. When I asked Andi if he had any anniversary gift ideas for me, he said, "What's the theme? Um, yep, got one."

For real? It's that easy, huh?

A gift of fruit or flowers - the traditional recommendation for the fourth anniversary - for a guy is HARD. I could think of a million different things I'd want as a gift that fell into those two categories (heck, I'd have been happy with a bouquet of flowers or even something like this flower necklace), but I couldn't very well give Andi roses and call it a day. After mulling over a million different options, I decided to give him a new Keurig machine which fits the theme because coffee beans are technically the pit of a coffee cherry fruit. Alright, I know this gift isn't very thrilling (it's about as exciting as receiving a vacuum for a present) but Andi does love coffee and our Keurig has been broken for months, so practical wins. 

Other gift ideas I thought about were:
  • An Apple product -- but it turns out my husband already owns every single piece of Apple technology in existence today. 
  • Dinner cooked by a private chef with fruit incorporated into the meal -- but at $350, I couldn't justify the cost.
  • An espresso machine like the Nespresso U-- but Andi already has an espresso machine at his office and let's face it, we've got a newborn baby due soon and this mama's gonna need some coffee to stay alive.
  • A bottle of booze -- whiskey is made of grain, for example, but I can't cop out and give Andi alcohol for every single holiday ... or can I?
  • A Bonzai tree for his office desk -- boring and strange, can you tell I'm struggling here?
  • Baking a fruit pie -- but we weren't even together on our actual anniversary date.

So - a coffee maker. I admit it, I stink at gift giving. Sorry, Andi.

For Year Four, Andi gifted me this cool framed piece of artwork he created. It's a Google Earth view of four special places in our relationship:

  • We Met: The 16th Street Mall in Denver
  • We Married: Noerenberg Gardens in Wayzata, Minnesota
  • We Live: Our Twin Cities neighborhood
  • We Play: Our Pipe Lake Cabin



What does the framed map art have to do with fruit or flowers? Nothing. Ha. I guess we both struggled with the theme this year. I do love my new frame and I know we'll both get a ton of use out of our new Keurig ... so, win/win in the end.

6 comments:

  1. I love the creativity and I love sticking with the traditional gifts. It really forces you to think outside the box. My husband is a pretty terrible gift giver and I'm not much better myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed you guys still go all out for your anniversary! We just celebrated 7 years and it was just a regular day, haha! The gifts are a super cool idea, we should have thought of that as we both don't even give gifts anymore because we can't think of anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You win, because you sort of tied it into fruit! But Andi's gift is awesome. I would die of shock if John gave me a gift that thoughtful and then he'd have to add "You Died" google maps screenshot to the artwork of the place where he gave me the gift. Okay. That sounded awful. But maybe you chuckled a tiny bit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Well, his gift to you is pictures of the earth and fruit/flowers come from the earth, so...
    Whatever though, such a cool gift and really super thoughtful. My hubby would NEVER think of anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Lacey, I am laughing so hard at your comment right now, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both gifts are great (and way better than I would have come up with). I'm totally stealing Andi's idea for a future occasion - very creative.

    ReplyDelete