Friday, February 6, 2015

5/52 (A Weekly Photo Series)

I came across this quote and it spoke to me:

"To find beauty in the chaos, that's what parenthood is."

Isn't that the truth? So many heartwarming, funny and patience-testing moments all rolled into one.

Bath time is chaotic, for sure. Such a hassle to get the kids undressed, washed, dried, lotioned and ready for bedtime. I'm usually dripping in sweat by the end. But, bath time is also filled with splashing, laughter and togetherness. (Don't forget containment!) It's one of the simplest and sweetest moments in parenting.



Tory, Aden and I made banana blueberry crumb muffins this week. Baking is something Tory and I especially enjoy doing together. Aden's obviously too young to participate, but he loved banging wooden spoons on the high chair tray as he watched us. Of course, baking with kids is chaos; there was flour all over the kitchen by the time we were done. But, the mess is worth it. I love teaching Tory how to follow a recipe and measure ingredients, and in between sifting flour and cracking eggs we talk about other stuff -- our family, preschool, friends, favorite toys. My kitchen can be cleaned up, but the memory of me spending time with them is ingrained in their minds forever. (I hope!)    



Mealtimes = chaos. Preparing food and getting it into the kids' bellies before an epic meltdown ensues. All this, of course, while trying to shovel something healthy into my own mouth. More times than not, I've filled up on handfuls of Cheetos to survive. At one point this week, I looked down and noticed Aden's adorable feet hanging below his high chair tray. Baby toes. I don't see much of those during the long Minnesota winter. He's so cute I could gobble him right up.


And then, she sleeps (after seventeen rounds of "I'm not tired! I'm not tired! I'm not tired"). The chaos is on pause, and all I can do is stand by and stare in amazement. I wouldn't trade in one single second of the crazy. I love this life. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I think that may be my most favorite quote of all time. Ever. It sums up my parenting philosophy :)
    Love the bath time pics! And T snoozing…so precious. I could stare at my babies sleeping for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it....so true! And we have our hands full of chaos. I can't believe how blonde A is! And his little curls...love! Tori is your little mini me...so cute!

    ReplyDelete